• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

WIXEY GAUGE WANTED

Guest Philmarriott

Guest Philmarriott

Cheers Baz will have a look. Picking up my first scope today celestron c8 n with the cg-5 mount and tracker. Its a good deal as the focuser has been upgraded, its got a finder scope and some other things Rob told me were good. Picking it up this lunch time and hopefully get some viewing done in the next few days!

Errm. Could anyone tell me why you'd need that level (pun intended) of precision assuming it's for setting up a mount :)

it's for using the wixey as a means of finding objects in the sky on a dobsonian I presume rather than simply levelling a tripod. You need to level the OTA to "zero" the wixey (which is where the spirit level comes in handy) before you can start using your preferred planetarium software to give you the alt/az coordinates of specific objects you want to find. You then use the wixey to be able to know when you are at the correct altitude and your setting circle on your dob base to see that you are at the correct azimuth coordinate. Then its a breeze to find stuff in the sky manually. Its pretty accurate if you set up carefully and ensure all is as it needs to be. I used to do it before I mounted my 200P on the NEQ6.

Guest peepshow

Anyone using a barn door tracker with a DSLR camera mounted on a ball and socket joint with long lenses can also use a wixey,

also by setting the  wixey to zero when horizontal. 

Then adjusting camera lens to be exactly vertical or horizontal using the wixey on a straight part of the lens barrel which is parallel to the optics, or across the top of the lens housing.  Camera is now set at zero sited on your latitude.

Then slew the camera in DEC on the ball and socket joint, to read off wixey,

the new DEC angle required from your initial latitude position. 

I'm going to have a go with my new wixey on the 10" Schmidt Newt on the SkyTee 2 altaz mount.

A wixey has various uses not just for dobsonians as Richard says above :)

Guest peepshow

I'm going to have a go with my new wixey on the 10" Schmidt Newt on the SkyTee 2 altaz mount.

If your wixey doesn't have a built in level, Pete, use a spirit level on a  pre tested surface that is level

to set your wixey to zero.     Reverse the spirit level as a check for its accuracy first.

My 12 inch  'Stabila' level is spot on I found.  

The flat top of a  big oak bookcase we have is exactly level to less then 6 arc minutes in one area  

so that is my level datum used to set the wixey to zero...........

...........You see, I am well read. :D  ;)

Your mount looks to be  ideal for wixey use. 

I should've been more comprehensive with my answer. What I meant was a Wixey is useful for any Alt/az mount application. I wasn't saying it was a use that was exclusive to dobsonian style mounts :)

Thanks Richard.

My wixey is the one recommended by Martyn in the 2nd post of this thread. It does have a built in bubble level, and is a nice quality bit of kit. It is strongly magnetic on the base so it holds tight to a metal scope tube or other metal surface. They sent me NINE CR2032 button batteries with it! It only takes one :) .

My Skytee is not ideally suited to an azimuth circle, but that could be sorted with a bit of work. I intend to initially try to locate difficult objects using just the altitude on the wixey, and panning in azimuth through the general object vicinity. That method should narrow down the object location substantially.

• 2 weeks later...