• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

One good reason to have your mount serviced.

Graham

This poor CG5 was sent to me because it was very stiff.

Stiff has to be the understatement of the decade. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

It was soooo stiff I could not turn the DEC axis by hand with the clutch undone.

The RA axis was not a lot better.

On stripping the CG5 down I found this black mess that was supposed to be grease.

It had actually 'set' in the worm and Pinion gears stopping them from turning freely.

This stuff was so bad I had to use Petrol to get it off my hands.

2013-11-06%2022.34.59.jpg

2013-11-06%2022.34.36.jpg

The grease on the Axis shafts themselves had also become like super glue.

2013-11-06%2022.33.39.jpg

2013-11-06%2022.34.15.jpg

So if your mount is tight you may just have the same problem. ;):lol:

More horror stories will be posted as they arrive at my workshop.

:ladyshock:  i dont think i would call that grease, something much less pleasant :ill:   :lol:

I had much the same thought when I opened the mount up and got it on my hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crikey - it looks like the stiffness has contributed to wearing down the gear. I have a similar problem on my HEQ5 - stiff dec and ra beginning to stiffen. Do they put the same gunge in SW mounts Graham?

That looks like my old EQ5 when I stripped that down, horrible smell too like sump oil!

I reckon the chinese use refined raw panda poo for that grease,

it sticks like the proverbial to the blanket and as you say graham is a devil of a job to clean off your hands. Thankfully my heq5 appears to have a lithium type grease in it and not this gunge and my cge now has teflon based grease

Crikey - it looks like the stiffness has contributed to wearing down the gear. I have a similar problem on my HEQ5 - stiff dec and ra beginning to stiffen. Do they put the same gunge in SW mounts Graham?

Afraid so Kim, I would get it cleaned and replaced asap.

That looks horrid, it looks like that butyl stuff for sticking repair patches on pond liner. :-/

Smells like a pond liner as well :lol:

Yuk!

I hope mine wasn't like that inside Graham!

James

Nope your safe James.

That looks like my old EQ5 when I stripped that down, horrible smell too like sump oil!

It does pong a bit doesn't it :lol:

I reckon the chinese use refined raw panda poo for that grease,

it sticks like the proverbial to the blanket and as you say graham is a devil of a job to clean off your hands. Thankfully my heq5 appears to have a lithium type grease in it and not this gunge and my cge now has teflon based grease

:lol: :lol:  you might just be right there. :lol:

Guest CodnorPaul

That doesn't look good Graham - do I need to worry about my mount if it is new, or shall I wait a year or two until thinking about sending it down to you (i.e. when warranty is finished it is belt drive time - assume it will be OK until then)?

Yeah your new NEQ6 will be all good Paul :) I am getting mine converted with graham-I got mine second hand. It is ok as is but I've been wanting to do the belt drive thing for a while and now it's possible wahoo!