• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Here's (possibly) a dumb question...

Big Al

Having recently got a pre-loved Nexstar 6SE (and having had only one chance to use it), one thing became obvious. The standard EP's with it, plus the Celestron EP kit - particularly the smaller ones - are really hard to use (for me, anyway being a speccy, short sighted one).

So, what's the recommendations for reasonable EP's for this scope? I know they have to be 1.25in size, so I guess that eliminates some of the higher quality ones? Are zooms worth considering? How is the FOV of an EP affected by the scope type and focal length? Are all 1.25 inch EP's compatible?

I'm also a SS speccy, I do not use my specs for astro though, I use a speccy 'lanyard' so I know where they are and I can quickly put them on for checking ep's, focus etc..

As for ep's well, I've tried all sorts and makes and found that the ep's I am happiest with are the sort that screw out to give max eye relief. Allen at 'Sky's the Limit' does some good 1.25" ep's and are highly recommended by many people on this forum. Check out his web site and you will find the prices reasonable too. He also has a system where he can send you a few ep's to try and return the one's you don't want!

Hope this helps Alan

Cheers

Ron

I'm also a prism speccy wearer, I find I'm better leaving them on as I get sea sick taking them on and off lol.

I've tried hes BSTs and good quality plossels, I personally prefer the plossels. It's a good service he offers to try different ones. :-)

The Baaders really are great value for money and perform really well compared to the cheaper eyepieces under £50. They're several grades of quality above the supplied eyepieces. :)

Again all down to personnel taste I think. I couldn't get on with the Xcel lx ( thanks mike) eye relief but the hyperions are great. Don't think there's much difference in quality but xcel are a bit cheaper.

OK, so Baader Hyperion looks like the popular choice... Would I be better with a couple of fixed lengths, say 25 and 10, or investing in the zoom version?

Does anyone have any experience with the Pentax ones - fixed or zoom?

I have the Hyperion zoom and whilst it is good for aligning and general viewing I find the view becomes quite dim (as in not very bright) the more you zoom. That and the FOV becomes narrower and narrower the more you zoom. Having said that it's a great little eyepiece. However since getting the televue ethos 13mm everything else I look through is always compared to that and tends to not live up to it :)

I've got the 5, 10 and 21 mm Baaders and the zoom. The view through the prime lenses is better, a bit sharper and less coma on the edges. However, the zoom does make life simpler and with a 2x barlow you've got 4mm to 25mm in just 2 units.

I've read that the Pentax zoom does outperform the Baader but it is a bracket up in price.