• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQ5 motors

Cazz

Do these ever come up for sale second hand at all? I'm just working out a few thoughts - that won't break the bank with the ST150.

Last time I saw some come up s/h was about 3yrs ago. They used to be a regular thing every few weeks a while back - but doesn't appear to be that way now......

They went for £75 - but they're only £95 brand new (both RA and Dec together) - I would chuck in the extra £20 and buy new. :)

I've got a spare RA motor and bracket for the EQ5 but not much use without a handset I wouldn't have thought?

There was a goto handset on abs for £80 or so the other day, and they appear reasonably often.

James

Its not just the hand set you will need if you are planing on going down a goto route.

You will also need the breakout boards and they only come with the synscan kit.

when you add up all the bits even second hand the £300 price tag on a full synscan kit is not too far off the mark.

GoTo isn't essential - as i have to build my skills up, and we do have push too on the C8 if i struggle lol. It's the tracking I'm in need of more I reckon.

Now for probably the dimmest question of all time, would a switch do the job to make the motor work? :-/

Sorry to be thick, but I don't really understand, I'm currently looking at FLOs website page with them on, and it's not really helped lol.

If you buy the kit from FLO, it comes with a unit that'll drive the motors at the right speed. If you just get the motor on it's own you'll need a driver that sends pulsed power to it, so that it turns at the correct rate.

If Leigh can make you a driver for it, I have the brand new one with mounting bracket and drive gear for the RA slow mo shaft, yours for £20. As I say though, you need to have something to send a pulsed feed to it, it can't just be a switch.

P.s. the EQ5 motors (non goto) are 6v