• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First attempt M42 last night

Allan the Plumber

First attempt guiding from home of M42 :blush:

thanks to screen scrape Phil put on thread for PHD finally got it to work was a little worried when graph starting shooting about but suddenly realised wind was blowing a bit last night

http://www.flickr.com/photos/105142125@N07/10746447603/

8 subs  180 seconds 400OSI total 24mins

8 Darks

8Flats

4 Bias edited with PS3

Nice. The stars are round. The basic shape is there, and it's clear there are different colours wanting to come out. I suspect someone could process it harder to tweak some more stuff out of the data. But it looks like a great first go. Are you planning to add more data to this?

James

Guest foundaplanet

Very good Allan, If you could do a layer and use the lasso tool around the core I reckon you have loads more to pull out in the outer region. It looks very good and natural as it is mind and I'd be made up with that result..:)

Yeah I didn't want to pull out too much as I kept blowing out the core does anyone have a link or know how to layer with PS so I can either take more images long duration and cut out the core the layer these into the previous image

Know there's more in the RAW but as mention keep losing image as core over exposed

Cheers

Allan

Not bad data at all

it can be pushed a bit more as James suggested

good work M42 is a pig to get an unblown image

Nice pic and yes, and as Ibbo says, do keep playing with the processing. I had a quick play and there is plenty more to pull out of that, even without masking.

Hi Allan

The first thing you should do is set the black point in your photo editing software. Olly posted this in another thread not long back (I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it!) -

Black%20clipping.-X3.jpg

Have a play with the curve. You'll probably want to set a few points on it so you can pull it to the shape that brings out the details you want.

A high-pass sharpen will pull out more of the detail too. I look forward to seeing your results :)

Thanks Leigh not 100% sure how you do that is it by using the black pipet icon and clicking on a dark location on the image?

If so would you pull out colours separately or as RGB also you mention about clicking points on the curve 

Is there any hard and fast point along the curve or is it trail and error? I have done this but I think I'm only aping what Noel did when he was processing one of my images at Kelling