• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

WW report 08/11/2013

T A WOW

So it was the first clear night not on a school night for a very long time, so I jumped at the chance to get down to our dark site to give my new bresser a good run for the first time.

I got to the site at about 9:15 to find kheldar and sheila already there setting up on the concrete just outside the site building. I couldn't see the usual place to set up as it was already dark, but Sheila told me it was rather muddy. So I found the dryest (least swamp like) part of the car park and plonked down my scope.

The first thing I noticed was that the milky way was easily seen going straight across the sky. Not a clear as at belper but still visible.

As this was my first proper outing with my new finder and telrad I had to align them with the main scope first. As Jupiter had just poked itself into view I used that. Once that was done I figured I'd keep on with Jupiter to start but as it was only about 10 degrees up seeing was pretty dire.

Next up I swung up to M45 the Pleiades and stuck in my 36mm Hyperion. The view was most pleasing with pin sharp points of light, and I was also happy that with my new semi apo filter I couldn't detect any CA at all.

Next up I thought I'd have a go at finding the double cluster, but as it was right up at the zenith unfortunately the end of the scope hit the tripod legs. Darn and bother.

Kheldar then suggested to try double star Albireo in Cygnus with its nice clearly different coloured parts. After a minute of using my highest mag EP trying to find it it was pointed out that I was looking at the wrong star :lol: so once I found the right one it was a clearly split pair with a very nice yellow and blue colour to the two stars.

As I was that area of sky I thought I'd have a go at the space Krispy Kreme (M57 the ring nebula) I managed to find it quite easily but it was quite low and therefore not very bright, but still pleasing to view with averted vision.

At this point SWMBO wanted to have a play so I left her to scan around as I chatted to kheldar and Sheila about the joys of setting up an astrophotography rig :D

After a while the Orion nebula had just come into view above the club house building. Using initially my 31mm Hyperion it gave a stunning view of this famous nebula. I could clearly see shape to giant gas cloud with its bright stars. Zooming in with my 8mm Hyperion the nebula field the field of view and the trapezium was clear with the E and F elements appearing under occasional good seeing moments.

As Jupiter was now a bit higher I thought I'd have another look. The seeing still wasn't great but I could clearly make out a few bands of colour and the four great moons were easily visible.

At this point my optics were starting to dew up after just an 1 1/2 hours so it was time to pack up and head on home.

I had a really good evening, a bit shorter than I would've liked but after so long of my scopes just gathering dust it was great to get them out. I also need to make myself an extension pier for my mount and get some sort of dew prevention sorted.

tl/dr

Edited by T A WOW

Lovely report Toby.

You done really well see the E & F stars of the Trapezium they can be tricky to see.

There was a fair bit of moisture in the air last night, hence your optics dewing up pretty quick, you need some sort of protection setting up Toby.