We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
tbird

2 comets Ison and Lovejoy

tbird

After a ropey start, last night provided some excellent observing. After seeing the forecast for a clear morning I was determined to seize the chance to get pictures of Lovejoy and Ison.

First is Lovejoy, easily visible in a 50mm finder or binoculars between Cancer and Leo.

lovejoy10-11-13_zpsfaf91f82.jpg

Canon 1100d on Skywatcher 150p and Neq6. 18 x 30 second subs at iso 1600 + 5 darks.

To find Ison I had to use the goto, the co-ordinates from http://spaceweather.com/ were very accurate, putting the comet only slightly off centre in the camera. It was not visible in the finder nor my 50mm binoculars.

ison10-11-13_zpse0e95dce.jpg

Same kit, but only 10 30 second subs at iso 1600.

Edited by tbird

tbird

Great shots Paul. Get that dust bunny off your lens/sensor!! :D

Yes, I have now  :D

oldfruit

Great work as always Paul, good to see you posting regularly again. :)

Guest Mr T

Great images Paul. I'm glad you couldn't find ISON in your binoculars, because I couldn't either on Saturday morning, but I wasn't sure if it was just me not looking in the right place. Thanks for the tip about the speceweather link, I'll check it out.