• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2 comets Ison and Lovejoy

After a ropey start, last night provided some excellent observing. After seeing the forecast for a clear morning I was determined to seize the chance to get pictures of Lovejoy and Ison.

First is Lovejoy, easily visible in a 50mm finder or binoculars between Cancer and Leo.

lovejoy10-11-13_zpsfaf91f82.jpg

Canon 1100d on Skywatcher 150p and Neq6. 18 x 30 second subs at iso 1600 + 5 darks.

To find Ison I had to use the goto, the co-ordinates from http://spaceweather.com/ were very accurate, putting the comet only slightly off centre in the camera. It was not visible in the finder nor my 50mm binoculars.

ison10-11-13_zpse0e95dce.jpg

Same kit, but only 10 30 second subs at iso 1600.

Edited by tbird

Great images Paul. I'm glad you couldn't find ISON in your binoculars, because I couldn't either on Saturday morning, but I wasn't sure if it was just me not looking in the right place. Thanks for the tip about the speceweather link, I'll check it out.

• 1 month later...