• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Removal Of Skywatcher skyliner Mirror Cell

gfletcher

Hi Guys

I want to remove the mirror on my Skywatcher Skyliner 200P dob for cleaning.

Would anyone know the procedure for mirror cell removal?

thanks

Graham

Around the outside of the tube at the bottom will be some little phillips screws which hold the body of the scope to the mirror cell.

Mark with a pen so you know a position when it goes back and then remove all screws.

Lift the body away from the mirror cell.

If you have no electronics such as a fan attached to the cell then you can wash as a unit (cell and mirror).

Thanks Mick

Sounds simple enough.

In your opinion, what is the best method for mirror cleaning?

Graham

Hey graham, this video of Dion's from over on Astronomy Shed Forum demonstrates the cleaning process very thoroughly. The first part of video is about placing a new centre spot so you can skip that bit if you like, the cleaning part of the video commences at 19mins and 10secs into video, hope that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tRHYSzaRLk

Edited by catman161

Thanks Mick

Sounds simple enough.

In your opinion, what is the best method for mirror cleaning?

Graham

My option is leave it until it is absolutely, vital,imperative that it needs doing

Ibbo is right, but then IMO if you don't try you don't learn.

I wash mine at least once a year and have had no ill effects. The coatings on newer mirrors are very hardy nowadays.

This is what I do:

1. Remove mirror cell and place cell and mirror in bath.

2. Fill with warm water so mirror is just covered

3. Leave to soak for 5 minutes

4. I the meantime get some surgical cotton wool and pure washing up liquid not fragrenced stuff, I think it's called Pure.

5. Then place some on mirror and gently from centre out to edge glide the cotton wool across the mirrors surface.

6. Only do a few strokes then change cotton wool in case you do pick up any dirt.

7. Once clean take out bath and prop on it's side and pour IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) over the mirror this will stop any streaks forming

8. Thats about it.

Guest Tweedledum

The rule for cleaning mirror cells are :-

1. Make cup of tea.

2. Think about cleaning mirror. If Thirsty goto step 1.

3. Goto step 2.

The majority of vibes seem to be convincing me to "leave well alone".

I think I will leave it at this stage as the dust and a couple of minute specs will not effect the image.

thanks guys

Graham

If you do ever clean it - be dead careful how tight you do the mirror clips when replacing in the mirror cell. It doesn't take a lot to overdo it and end up pinching the mirror causing elongated and spikey stars.

Ahhh.... yes I just reread your list Mick and point 1. suddenly clicked in my head lol :)

(I remember the fiasco Martyn had when he did his)

I've just done mine :) it looks sooo much better!

Cool, did you use all the stuff listed above and follow those exact steps - any thing to watch out for?????

Mine has somehow got some right marks on it, I don't think it makes any difference what so ever but if it really is that simple then what have I got to loose?

Hey Darren,

No i followed the steps in Dion's video on how to clean a primary mirror. Except I did take Micks advice and leave the mirror in it's cell, I didnt want to be messing around with the clips. Nothing special to look out for really. I guess just don't lose the small rubber O rings that act as spacers between the colli bolts and the back aparatus that the mirror cell fits into and make sure the colli bolts actually go throught the rubber O rings when you put it all back togtether as a couple of times before I got it right the O rings were pushed to one side slightly but easy to rectify For the actual cleaning I just did it exactly as in Dion's video and used tepid running tap water and my fingers very light circular motions and then rinsed with triple filtered, double distilled water which has left no water marks at all.  Below is a before and after shot of my mirror.

10836450286_8aac858afe.jpg
Untitled by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

10836379725_1541e60fdd.jpg
Untitled by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

That's a brilliant result.

Where do you buy triple filtered double distilled water from?

Do you use any form of detergent in the cleaning process or is it just tepid tap water?

In the area I live we have very hard water, would this be a problem in the cleaning procedure?

Graham

I used a small amount of washing up liquid. If you watch the video link above it will guide you through the process nicely. I got the water from ebay by typing "distilled water" its a little pricey but I wanted to do it right. Give the video a watch and folllow what Dion does in the video and you won't go far wrong :)

Regarding the hard water question I think it will be fine as you rinse the mirror thoroughly with the distilled water after you have cleaned it under the tap. So you shouldn't end up with deposits on the mirror.

Good grief, I looked at your first pic and thought there's nowt wrong with that, then looked at the second picture and wow!

Going to flock my OTA and add a moonlight focuser next summer when the nights are light, will probably give the mirror a clean while it is in bits!

Good grief, I looked at your first pic and thought there's nowt wrong with that, then looked at the second picture and wow!

Going to flock my OTA and add a moonlight focuser next summer when the nights are light, will probably give the mirror a clean while it is in bits!

Yeah the moonlight is on my list too Daz-am hoping Father Christmas may bring it to me ;) Definitely worth cleaning the mirror. Although I should add mine was a rather severe case due to all the building work going on at new house the dust just managed to somehow get in. Scope now "under wraps" in garage now that it's been cleared out.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfords or your local convenience store for de-ionized water, £4.50 for 5 litres up this way. You only need it to wash off the normal water at the end. The rest can be done using tap water in the kitchen sink. Just make sure that the sink is clean and free from strong detergents. 

And of course leftover curry from the night before :)