• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Buying an EP

RonC

I want a 6-7mm EP to use for planets on my 200PDS, Short listed are:

Celestron X-cel 7mm at £70

Meade Ser 5000 6.5mm at £80

I already have a Baader 8mm as part of the zoom and find 5mm is too much if the seeing is less than perfect!

Also looking at the BST EP's?

Any comments or help would be good!

PS: Budget is for under £100!

Edited by Ron Clarke

I have checked the BST's good value but I think you get what you pay for? Still undecided!!

The Radians are very nice at 5mm, 6mm and 8mm. Especially on planets. You can try one of we get to a meeting together Ron. You can get them s/h in great condition for around £100 and last a lifetime on most scopes :)

Sounds good Kim, I have a 5mm Planetary from the same dealer, nice ep but I need perfect seeing conditions to use it, so not very often!

At 1m focal length and f-5 you need a good'ish eyepiece cos (being fast) the scope ain't so forgiving on poor quality ep's. 5mm will give you 200x magnification - I work mostly round 150x to 180x cos better seeing is rare. The 5mm Radian does come out sometimes though and when it does it's well worth it. Hopefuly we'll get a good clear transparent meeting soon and you can try it :)

F5 is so demanding on eyepieces, if money is no object then 6mm Ethos, but if you are like most of us then a 6mm Radian or a 7mm UWAN

I have the UWAN and it's a great eyepiece.

Thought I'd give the 8mm BST a try, so I've ordered one. For the money it's worth a try and save up for a top of the range jobby later!!

BST's I understand are good though I never tried one myself. Not heard a bad thing about them and deffo better than supplied ep's. Nice one Ron :)

Sorry to jump in on this thread but you say an F5 scope is so demanding on good eyepieces, is there much difference between and F5 and a F6 scope?

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Darren,

You are on the 'cusp' !! fast usually F5 or less, slow F6 and higher. my guess is that you would be hard pushed to see the difference unless in an achromatic refractor where you might get a slight increase in CA (chromatic aberration).

Hi Darren,

You are on the 'cusp' !! fast usually F5 or less, slow F6 and higher. my guess is that you would be hard pushed to see the difference unless in an achromatic refractor where you might get a slight increase in CA (chromatic aberration).

Awesome, I was hoping you would say something like that, mine being an F6, was getting a bit worried I would have to fork out some real cash on Televues!

Hi Bryn, enjoyed using the BST 8mm the other night (out of the conservatory door!) Good on Mars and the Moon and comparable with my Baader

zoom! So much so I've ordered an 15mm BST and if thats ok I'll get the 12mm to make a set up. Also ordered my Baader Collimator for next week!

Edited by Ron Clarke