• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

moon from the 19th November

red dwalf

Moon was about the only thing i could see so went for a few webcam images,

this is the first using an opticstar px 35c camera, much the same as a webcam only has usb2 and a cooler on the back, software is a bit rubbish though but got my head round it.

best 70% of 255 frames, stacked in registax 6.

fhp1.jpg

Not bad mate

couldn't be bothered to set up tonight clouding up now good to see you've got out in the obsy tonight

Did Paul buy your thingy pointer ?

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Nice Rob. Seems like we had the same idea tonight. I have to say I was motivated by Leigh who popped over to give me a crash course on Deep Sky Stacker and PhotoShop.

What sort of frame rate were you filming at?

I've always been interested to know at what point adding additional frames makes very little difference to lunar and planetary; there must be a point at which the improvements tail off. It would be good to see something like this stacked with say the best 10%, best 20%, best 30%... all the way up to 100% of frames, and process them the same, and see if there is a turning point. I might have to try this sometime, though someone may already have done it.

You've got nice contrast between the pale and darker regions, and nothing too over exposed, which is hard I know at nearly a full moon.

You should have a go with a mosiac; if I can manage one anyone can. I was amazed at how easy that Microsoft ICE programme was (in fact I didn't have to do anything complicated, it did it all. The hardest bit was working out how to save the final image :)

James

Nice Rob. Seems like we had the same idea tonight. I have to say I was motivated by Leigh who popped over to give me a crash course on Deep Sky Stacker and PhotoShop.

What sort of frame rate were you filming at?

I've always been interested to know at what point adding additional frames makes very little difference to lunar and planetary; there must be a point at which the improvements tail off. It would be good to see something like this stacked with say the best 10%, best 20%, best 30%... all the way up to 100% of frames, and process them the same, and see if there is a turning point. I might have to try this sometime, though someone may already have done it.

You've got nice contrast between the pale and darker regions, and nothing too over exposed, which is hard I know at nearly a full moon.

You should have a go with a mosiac; if I can manage one anyone can. I was amazed at how easy that Microsoft ICE programme was (in fact I didn't have to do anything complicated, it did it all. The hardest bit was working out how to save the final image :)

James

thanks everyone, i`ve a few more from last night but it was just a test to try out the opticstar camera and software.

felix i was trying different frame rate between 10 and 30 frames a second, at 30 it looked alittle overexposed and couldn`t really get the exposure down to more natural looking levels, i don`t think you need alot of frames on the Moon, it`s not too far away and even if the seeing is rubbish you can usually get good focus,

it was nice last night to sit at the computer and do the focusing using the skywatcher autofocuser and hitec dc focus software, saves alot of trouble.

i really should have a go at a mosaic, i`ll give it a go next time.

Not bad mate

couldn't be bothered to set up tonight clouding up now good to see you've got out in the obsy tonight

Did Paul buy your thingy pointer ?

not yet Allan, just making sure it`ll fit the sct