• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings

Guest pvcprinting

Guest pvcprinting

Hi folks,

Have joined this site as my 8 year old daughter is showing a keen interest in the planets and stars........

Hope to use this forum initially to obtain info on buying a 1st telescope for her, but also to gain knowledge as we learn together the beauty of the heavens

Hi Pete and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

Feel free to ask any questions in the Beginners Section - it won't be long before you have loads of advice. It will help if you state an approximate budget.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hello and welcome to EMS.

Like Kim mentioned above, knowing your budget and what sort of things you would like to see helps us point you in the correct direction and saves you wasteing money on getting something that is not right for you.

There are loads of different types of scopes, mounts, gizmos etc from computer tracking telescopes to manual tracking dobsonions.

If you can, get your self (and your daughter) along to one of our local meets, where you can see and try first hand all manor of scopes, so you get to see what suits, what you like etc.

Try before you buy is the best advice I can give.

Also, don't rush into getting a scope, as buying the first cheapo one you see from Toys R Us will only disappoint and put her/you off for life.

Ask loads of questions, come to a meet, and don't worry, the only daft question is the question you did not ask.

As a starter for 10, download a free computer program called Stelarium, loads of us use it, shows you what you can see from your location, let's you zoom in etc, can be found here....

http://www.stellarium.org

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Pete and welcome to you both!  :)

I work in Grantham (and was born there!)

Edited by Ron Clarke

Hi Pete, a warm welcome to EMS.

Some great advice already. Do bags of reading, and ask loads of questions! There is lots of help and advice here, just ask away.

I would suggest the "Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas" a reasonably priced and very useful book. It has plasticised pages so doesn't go soggy when out at night.

Enjoy the forum.

• 2 weeks later...