• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st scope for 8 year old

Guest pvcprinting

Guest pvcprinting

Hi folks,

Looking to purchase a 1st scope for my 8 year old daughter.....

think have settled on an 8" Dobsonian for its ease of use and results.......(Skywatcher Skyliner 200p

As its a 1st scope, more than happy to buy a good condition used one.....

Does the forum have a sale / wants section?

Hi Pete - yes we do have a For Sale section but I think you may need 10 or 20 posts to access it. There were no 200P dobs there when I last looked but you can always try "UK Astro Buy Sell" in the meantime. There's a few up for sale right now including:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74919

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74524

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=72928

They are varying styles and prices and come with differing extras. Do check the age of any you enquire about. Hope that helps :)

Welcome to the forum :)

That's a fantastic first scope and what I started with. I still use the OTA but on an EQ mount rather than the original dobsonian base.

I think you have to have a minimum number of posts before being able to access the wants/sale section. You could also check AstroBuySell UK. Just type that into google and scroll through the adverts. Hope you find one :)

In fact here's one from AstroBuySell

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74699

Guest pvcprinting

Hi Pete - yes we do have a For Sale section but I think you may need 10 or 20 posts to access it. There were no 200P dobs there when I last looked but you can always try "UK Astro Buy Sell" in the meantime. There's a few up for sale right now including:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74919

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74524

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=72928

They are varying styles and prices and come with differing extras. Do check the age of any you enquire about. Hope that helps :)

thanks......

Gutted i missed out on a scope in leicseter yesterday that was on Ebay for £170

Guest pvcprinting

Thanks for the prompt replies thus far folks.......

Is there anything else worth considering (around the £200 mark) and anything i should be looking out for?

i have seen some advertised that have stated "small marks on the mirror"....thats a bad thing....right?

I am mindful of nurturing daughters enthusiasm and therefore want to buy something that will give some nice results such as seeing Saturns rings and not just a fuzzy blob

Beware of marks on the mirror - this could mean anything from a peeling coat to a deep scratch or a corrosive substance. But normally dobs are fine even if it's just dusty or a spot of dirt (which can be cleaned).

E-bay is fine if you know what you're doing - let us know if you need an opinion on one. :)

(The 200P is a great beginner scope - she's lucky - you'll see Saturns rings easy and a heck of a lot of other stuff too)

Won't go wrong with a Skywatcher 200P (see signature ).

Easily modifiable to make them sooo much better, can transport it around in the car, and gives good views.

Obviously you don't want marks on the mirror at all but it depends really if it just a bit if stray dust it really won't make that much difference visually. Having said that I'd go for one in as good condition as possible.
The key thing really is the eyepieces that you put in the scope, the ones that come with it are fairly mediocre. They are ok for a start but you'd be best off getting a couple if better (but still fairly affordable) new eyepieces. The fact that the scope is pretty big mirror wise means you will get some great views of saturns rings when it comes around next year. At present Jupiter is starting to look better and in early evening Venus is looking nice.

Peter, you would be welcome to call in and see me to chat about scopes etc if you need any help?

I have a business in Inner Street in the town,

Cheers

Ron

Guest pvcprinting

Peter, you would be welcome to call in and see me to chat about scopes etc if you need any help?

I have a business in Inner Street in the town,

Cheers

Ron

Ron,

Thanks, most kind.

If you are free tomorrow around 12.30 I would very much like a chat

Regards

Pete

Ok Peter, find me at Granthan Dental Lab, Unit 3 near Vincent Tyres. I finish at 1pm on Friday so no problem! :)

How tall is she, just a thought but the eyepiece might be a bit high on a dob. Nothing a step won't sort but worth bearing in mind. I got my daughter a little refractor. With the eyepiece at the bottom its much easier for her to look through but to be honest tend to just use mine.

Good luck youve come to the right place.

Edited by tuckstar

Careful Pete, Ron is very persuasive, you'll end up buying his cast off equipment; at least that will save me constantly buying it :)

No, Ron will give you some good advice. And good luck with the scope hunt. She is a very lucky girl to be getting an 8" reflector.

She'll probably also be interested in seeing Stellarium on the computer, and being able to see the constellations in the sky; it's free to download and install. You can change the foreground if you are OK with a camera and photoshop.

I hope she enjoys it, and I hope you do too! I suspect you'll get the bug too.

James

Guest pvcprinting

Again, thanks folks for all the replies

Looking forward to meeting up with Ron tomorrow.......if he has a 'cast off' 8" Dobsonian, then he might get a sale!

She is quite a tall girl for her age, so think she will cope with the size of a Dobsonian

Have already downloaded Stellarium, but not sure how to use it as yet

Well take a laptop tomorrow with it on and I'm sure Ron can show you the basics in about 2 minutes.

There are probably some other members in Grantham, have a look on the member map. Once you've got a few posts under your belt you'll be able to send private messages and make local contacts.

James