• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Light ASI120MC Jupiter

catman161

Just a couple of images from of Jupiter from the Belper meet tonight.

I used my ASI120MC for the first time, I am gonna have to take my time getting used to it and getting comfortable with it. I think I can do better eventually, but it's a start at least. The atmosphere was quite humid tonight, the seeing wasn't great and there was wind playing havoc with the OTA. Anyway both pics captured in sharpcap with ASI120MC on 2x TV powermate on 200P and NEQ6 pro. Stacked in Registax 5.1

11003097014_42937ef30d.jpg
Jupiter 22_11_2013 23_01_02 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

11003101024_c6e9634a98.jpg
Jupiter 22_11_2013 22_52_58 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Cheers Steve, like I said the more I use it the more comfortable Ill get with it I think and hopefully do some better pics

That is really nice felix. I love the second one, a bit brighter.

Loads of detail and lots of bands coming out.

Roughly how long were you captures and at what sort of frame rate? What percentage of frames did you stack? Did you leave the IR cut filter on?

If you think you can improve on these, Damian Peach[y] needs to watch out.

Great first light with the camera. I bet you are chuffed.

Jd

You've inspired me felix to have a play with jupiter and the ZWO; my laptop is just the rate limiting step as it's so clunky and awkward, i hate using it "in the field".

Is your powermate a 1.25" or 2"?

Jd

Now that I've looked on a computer screen and not my iphone, I prefer the first one; it seems crisper and clearer, even though it is a little darker.

The great red spot should be in prime position at about 21:15 tonight, so not sure if you'll be able to set up at home for that :)

Great.

James

Thanks everyone :)

Kim, I am pleased for a first go but I do think I could perhaps get it better. The conditions weren't great last night and I had lots of initial problems with focus etc.

James my powermate is the two inch one. I set the frame rate to maximum and the resolution to 640x480 with the gain on 60 and brightness 5. I stacked the best 95% of 1500 frames. I'll definitely be setting up in the garden tonight if it is clear but unfortunately Jupiter is not visible above a neighbours and my fence roof until tennish :(

Nice one Felix,

Don't be in a rush to image Jupiter low in the sky, you'll only be dis-appointed with the poor seeing.

very nice first effort Felix, you must be chuffed, lovely Moon with it also, sometimes difficult to get the two together, i must say that i`m very impressed with these cameras, alot of people are get some lovelt results from them. don`t forget spend time on the focusing first and foremost, the most difficult thing to get correct in my opion.

Thanks Andy and Rob. I had an avi from 9ish last night but binned it as soon as I saw it-too low to be imaging at that time at the moment you're right.

Couldn't agree more rob re:focus. As I focus by eye and hand (don't have an electronic focuser) I spend a while doing it but still end up getting it slightly soft sometimes. I am waiting as we go deeper into winter or Jupiter to become a bit higher and I think with that and more practise I can get better results from the camera. I also need to get a losmandy dovetail as the 200P is currently on a vixen one which is not ideal.

Hey eddy, thanks. Yes the moon was very close by and very bright! It was at 22:52 and I cant exactly remember the altitude I'm afraid sorry-any guessing would be a "stab in the dark" :D See what I did there?

Very nice makes me jealous as had to go out last night and the sky look wonderful last night keep up the good work

• 4 weeks later...