• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Clear, cloud, clear, cloud

dawson

I don't care if Betelgeuse goes super nova now tonight, i've had enough of putting on warm clothes, taking off warm clothes, putting on warm clothes.... Bed and book for me :)

Hopefully tomorrow will be either one or the other.

Managed to see the Milky Way nice and clearly several times, but only small patches in relatively fast moving blankets of cloud. It's lovely dark sky here in North wales, but just too much cloud. East coast i think next time.

James

I don't care if Betelgeuse goes super nova now tonight, i've had enough of putting on warm clothes, taking off warm clothes, putting on warm clothes.... Bed and book for me :)

Hopefully tomorrow will be either one or the other.

Managed to see the Milky Way nice and clearly several times, but only small patches in relatively fast moving blankets of cloud. It's lovely dark sky here in North wales, but just too much cloud. East coast i think next time.

James

and so is the life of an astronomer.....  here endeth the first lesson :lol:

Well my early night resulted in an early rise; there was a slight frost on the greenwitch telescope bag, and there was a few whispy clouds at just after 6am, and really quite bright given sunrise was so far away. Moon nice and high in the south and Jupiter dominating the sky high up next to Castor and Pollox. Procyon too very bright against the lightening sky. Regulus visible adjacent to the moon, and Mars to the east of the moon. Ursa Major upside down spilling its contents, and the handle arcing to Arcturus and then driving the spike into Spica [mike taught me this] standing pretty much alone in an even brighter bit of morning sky. Something bright and alone in the north east sky, maybe 25 degrees above the horizon (i need to look this up). As i was in my dressing gown and hat, i went back in doors to make a coffee, then popped out again. Something bright and unlike a star just above the eastern horizon, comet ISON? No, stellarium subsequently suggests this was Saturn and Mercury, though ISON would be following soon.

So, while i didn't manage to use my telescope, i had a nice 20 minutes having a look around the morning sky, and enjoying the still morning air and i managed to scare two sheep.

James

The weather was the same over in this neck of the woods too! Tried several times to locate Comet Lovejoy but drifting high cloud made it impossible!

Never mind, there will be other nights when it is clear and all that cloud will be forgotten! Low pressure moving in again so warm and cloudy for the next few days which is annoying as I've sorted out my guiding kit and software, I just need a clear sky to start guiding!!!

Cheers

Ron

Yeah, at least that online course will keep be occupied when it's cloudy :(

A view from the bedroom window as i climbed back into bed for another coffee and a bit more book:

85D3021F-DB2B-4258-828D-B0106B72A9B2_zps

James

Just had a look on stellarium and the unidentified star in the north east was Vega; of course.

James

Guest peepshow

Yeah, at least that online course will keep be occupied when it's cloudy :(

A view from the bedroom window

James

I can't see the castle. :)

I'm in North Wales, this isn't my usual Nottingham vista :)

Looking south at about 6.30am:

IMG_0188abelled_zps29f2d9ce.jpg

and labelled:

Picture1_zps150292a3.jpg

James