• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rosette nebula with unmodified DSLR

fwm891

Had a shortish run on the Rosette last night. Processed 6x10 min subs with Lightroom and PS-CS3. Taken with an unmodified Nikon DSLR, Altair Astro 115 EDT-APO with 0.79x reducer/flattener

Hope you like

Rosette6x10mins_zps6306f53d.png

James/Ron/Kim, Many thanks - I enjoy using an unmodified camera for Astro and the colouration it produces. Doesn't work on all objects but there's quite a few out there that unmodified cameras will reproduce very well.

The 115 with a dslr is a really nice combo

Guest peter shah

That's a beautiful shot with a good colour balance and star colour....with the mod it would look slightly more red but this object does have a pinkish hue to it....I like it a lot.

Guest foundaplanet

Cracker, really like it. Sometimes I feel that the unmodded camera gives a nicer and more subtle effect. This for me is a beauty... B)

Is it possible to stack images from a modded and unmodded camera if the same settings are used??

Thanks again all for the comments - really encouraging.

Ron: the above is a stack of 6x10min frames - these were stacked in Photoshop manually but there are loads of programs out there that will handle images in various file types.

That's a beautiful shot with a good colour balance and star colour....with the mod it would look slightly more red but this object does have a pinkish hue to it....I like it a lot.

Thanks Peter,

The original has more saturation than shown above probably from the uploading and susequent compression