• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Focuser

catman161

As in title really!

I ordered the Moonlite CR2 from FLO at 2pm yesterday and it arrived at 10am today! Of course I couldn't wait to attache it to scope!

I may yet stil remove it again and just put a little DC fix Black velour onto the base as (i know its realy pendantic) there is the most tiny, tiny gap between the curved adapter installation kit and the OTA so whe examined it doesnt sit quite flush! I am sure it will be fine but I know it's there now so I cannot get it out of my mind!!

One other thing that is worth a mention and I have contacted FLO about it already is that the hex head bolts that cme wit the curved adapter installation kit seemed as thought they were the tiniest bit too small to accept the allen key that they should have accepted. By this I mean that the allen key did fit (after much fidling) but only just so it made it difficult to get the alle key to engage enough to turn the bolt. I managed it after a good hour to get it satsifactory but not eaxclty to my liking. As i said to FLO i think they could all do wit a turn and half more but I am hapy for now, I will see what FLO say and update.

For now though here it is:

11065888794_c482fbcb4b.jpg
Untitled by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

11065868416_acb1b82a0d.jpg
Untitled by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Very nice Felix, did you use the fitting plate and both the risers that came with the fitting kit?

Hey Daz no just the half inch riser as I bought the 38mm travel draw tube model as it is easier for me to add an extension in to get more outward travel if needed. FLO are currently out of stock of the 1.5 inch bras compression extension tube I want though, I'll be getting it when back in though.

And the gay slippers?!

They're on my flickr feed James :) that picture was just of the adapter kit it wasn't interesting anyway!

I'm going to get an orange one to make a statement!! I also have to take off the front lens and secondary mirror to fit mine, but there is a good thread on SGL thank goodness !!

Looks good though Felix!! :)

Looks swanky. On the Allen keys. Was one provided for fitting? If not, are you sure it's not an imperial sized head and you were using a metric key. It is Yankee, so they likely use imperial. And they can be very close.

Edited by T A WOW

Looks swanky. On the Allen keys. Was one provided for fitting? If not, are you sure it's not an imperial sized head and you were using a metric key. It is Yankee, so they likely use imperial. And they can be very close.

Hmmm you may have something there Tobias? No Allen key provided but then the longer bolts with the same thread and head fitted my Allen key fine it was just the ones I needed it to work with that didn't typically :)

I'm going to get an orange one to make a statement!! I also have to take off the front lens and secondary mirror to fit mine, but there is a good thread on SGL thank goodness !!

Looks good though Felix!! :)

Thanks Ron I was drawn to the blue one initially but then just opted for black to keep everything black and white.

Tobias has a good point, it could well be imperial. Their bolt heads are similar sizes to metric, 13mm - 1/2", 17mm 7/16ths, 19mm- 3.4" and so on.

They are not a good fit, but work in a pinch. The Allen heads, as they are a lot smaller, are a much tighter tolerance, so don't fit so well.

Whack them in with a hammer!  They will go eventually.  :lol:

Whack them in with a hammer!  They will go eventually.  :lol:

That's what I do, I only make bits for jet engines. So, nothing important. :lol:

Well if the drugs don't work, yeah, it never fails. Haven't you ever wondered why you've got a head ache when you wake up from anaesthesia :)

Well if the drugs don't work, yeah, it never fails. Haven't you ever wondered why you've got a head ache when you wake up from anaesthesia :)

It's the only time I don't have one.  :unsure:

Felix, that looks well nice, Wayne will be wanting one next.  :ph34r:

Thanks Phil, blue is my favourite colour. All my skydive gear is blue, literally everything. However if I had gone for the blue focuser I fear I may have had to buy all new gear or mod it all to be blue ;)