• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lonesome Lovejoy. 25/26 Nov

Perkil8r

There were a few clouds about but Ron said Lovejoy was about, so I thought I would have a crack.

Checking the details it was just east of Alkaid in Ursa Major, and at about 11 or 12 degrees elevation, so off on the hunt to see if it would be clear of the houses or not. I popped out to see quite a bit of cloud but could just make out enough clear to see the whole of Ursa Major skimming the houses to the North of me. As luck would have it there is a street running north to south just in the right place to leave a narrow channel just about where I needed it. I judged it should be near the top of a telegraph pole so I used that as my pointer.

Grabbing the Bushnell 10x50's I had a quick scan and saw cloud, break, cloud, break, star, cloud, break. So I persevered until something caught my eye. 

I judged it was approx as bright as some of the inner most parts of M31 surrounding the core. I know as I could see M31 and compared it. There was a bit of a brighter bit but generally it looked like a tiny smudge around the same size as Jupiter looks in the same bino's. I checked M31 was still there, as you do, and swung back round to find cloud. I had a quick flick about, M42, M45, M31, M33 and then swung back and spotted it almost straight away. I'm sure that was it, and the exact location was checked with Ron and Steve, who both decided I was in the right spot. I forget the name of the star to the east now, Ari something? If you drew a straight line through Alkaid and it, Lovejoy appeared just very slightly closer to Alkaid but virtually mid way, and just below that imaginary line.

It didn't look great I admit, but I nabbed it and I am happy.

Now come on ISON, make us happy!