• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Horse Head in H-alpha and RGB

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

Got this one more or less finished .....
I started this one a few nights ago managed 4hours of H-alpha then got to work on some RGB no such luck grabbing the odd frame here and there. Last night the clouds parted so I set to work  only just managed to get enough, still short of green frames with only one at 840s...I think I compensated pretty well removing gradients as the came up.

Ha=4hours 30min subs Red 2x1200s plus the Ha, Green 1x840s and Blue 5x1060s....even with the odd exposure values it was surprisingly easy to balance.

thanks for looking

a0934.jpg

a0933.jpg

That's just unbelievably brilliant peter! I am sure soon (if it hasn't happened already) they will be giving you a call to be on Sky at night/stargazing live, writing or the imaging section in the astro mags! Your talent is absolutely fantastic! I love the detail in this picture-thanks for sharing!

Guest peter shah

Many thanks everyone...

Superb Imaging Peter given the (apparent) lack of RGB data :)

I am of course being hyper critical. Its the brighter areas I have got away with as far as the colour goes, its the fainter regions below the Horse Head that is lacking in RGB signal, there should be some more subtle colours in the faint fluff.....I'm pleased with what I have but its going to be one of those I can add RGB as I go

There are no words with strong enough meaning to express my appreciation of this image.

Jaw dropping is the closest I can get.

Everything's been said!! Great image Peter really like it (but I'll still choose another Winter target !! :lol:  :lol: )

Guest peter shah

wow thanks for the feed back everyone....

WOW, such bright colours, can i use this as my new desktop.

yep just use it if you want

Guest peter shah

Fantastic Peter, how did you control Alnitak?

many thanks Andy....I actually processed Alnitak with only the RGB data...mainly to get rid of the offending halo which was prominent in the H-alpha data....I really don't do anything special, if you stick to the 'standard curve' method you minimise star bloating and retain star colour....really just a manual DDP process