• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mains power supply

Rock Doctor

Having drained the power tank in a few hours last night which cut short the viewing time :( , can anyone recommend a mains power supply for the Celestron CGEM DX with enough power to also power upto 4 heater bands.

Guest Kheldar

You're into bench power supply territory here for a multi requirement power supply.

If you just want to power the mount, I'd refer you to one of the regulated supplies Bern sells at Modern Astronomy.

As to bench units, I'm not an expert .... but unless you have an obsy you will need to create a "safe" box to store all the electrics in.

Thanks Steve.

I might get two smaller regulated supplies one dedicated to the mount and one for the controller for the heater bands. It might be a little more expensive but at least you then have a spare should one blow.

I've used this one from Maplins It's a 12v 5A adapter. Then I connected a 12v 5A Dew controller and had 3 dew bands and one 12v LED running from it.

/>http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-5a-car-socket-power-supply-42702

Thanks

Mick and Kim.

Kim yet another newbie question. How do you connect the *** lighter type plugs to it as I can only see the red and black plug sockets on the front?

It comes with a double cable (black and red) with banana plugs on the end that plug into the unit. Of course they don't know what appliance you are going to use it for so the other end is left bare. You can then wire/solder on a ciggy lighter socket to plug in the scope power - or two ciggy sockets so you have one spare for dew controllers etc. A connector block is a good idea if you don't fancy soldering.

The scope is tip positive so you have to be sure to get polarity the correct way round (red's usually positive). :)

Kim,

just ordered a XM21X and a couple of lighter sockets so unless theres a power cut as well I will have enough juice for the coldest of nights to run the scope and the heater bands and not lose any viewing on a crystal clear night. :D

Oh for sure - your mount will only draw around 1.5 amps on full slew - tracking less than an amp. That leaves plenty for the controller and dew bands - I have one on the corrector plate, one on the finder, and one on the eyepeice or binoviewer - these are all designed to work on v.low amps so long as you don't wack all the bands up on full heat all together (I've never found that necessary). You'll be seeing stars lol :)

Kim,

just got a couple of cigarette lighter connections for the XM21 and it works a treat.

Unfortunately manflu err I'm nearly dying from this cold and the only thing that I'm looking forward to tonight is a couple of Lemsips max strength and a warm bed has set in so I wont be taking advantage of yet another clear night. :( Venus and Jupiter already up.

Am I fated to never have a good night out under the sky with good viewing conditions and make use of the scope?

Kim,

just got a couple of cigarette lighter connections for the XM21 and it works a treat.

Unfortunately manflu err I'm nearly dying from this cold and the only thing that I'm looking forward to tonight is a couple of Lemsips max strength and a warm bed has set in so I wont be taking advantage of yet another clear night. Venus and Jupiter already up.

Am I fated to never have a good night out under the sky with good viewing conditions and make use of the scope?

Man up!! Lol! :) only kidding, get well soon! I'm at the in laws, scope is at home :( I did sneak the 15x70 bins and a tripod into the boot though ;)

Felix

Keep yourself warm Dave - lots of bed and hot waterbottle - and night nurse or lemsips etc. Think of it as an investment cos you'll get more nights doing astronomy in the future when you're well again lol :)