• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

GOTO SET UP REQUIRED FOR THE EQ5 MOUNT

Guest Philmarriott

Guest Philmarriott

Its the CG5 GOTO im after. I have a CG5 mount but want the GOTO system for it. Sorry im still not too clued up :)

Edited by Philmarriott

I don't know this mount, but have a look on astrobuy sell; it might be you could buy a version with the motors already installed and then sell your non-motorised version to earn back the difference.

Good luck.

James

Guest Kheldar

Applying the GOTO upgrade kits to the EQ5/CG5 family tends to be a bit of a false economy I feel ...

Consider (as above) selling the existing mount and looking at second hand options :) (EQ5 Pro, CG5-GT, HEQ5)

Edited by Kheldar

Agreed, going for a full goto then selling your old one will be more cost effective. Having said that in the early days i modded an eq3 with meade ds motors and the decent handset and it worked a treat. These are like rocking horse poo now and dont look that nice when fitted so i wouldnt recommend that route

Guest Philmarriott

I have the tracker fitted to mine. The motors look horrendous. I though it was home made when i first saw them. I have thought of that option of getting one already to go and then sell mine. Might be worth doing that to be honest. Does anyone know what mine would be worth? Its the CQ5 with the celestron tracker fitted?

Edited by Philmarriott

Phil, see if you can search on astrobuysell for the key words in current and past sales you might get an idea of what people have paid (and have yet to pay) for one.

James

Guest Philmarriott

I think thats the one I already have. Someone has offered me one but just wondering what i could get for mine now. It is the cg5 withe the polar scope fitted and the celestron tracker system. Its in good condition but obviously used.

I meant to look for one like your current one, to show you how much it might be worth, sorry i should have made that clear.

James

Guest Philmarriott

Its ok mate. Thanks for looking though. Was hoping it might be worth about 150 or so. Seems reasonable to me but im new to it all somnot quite sure.

Hi Phil.

All the above are pretty much correct.

I did the Synscan conversion to my EQ5 (which is the same as your CG5) a couple of years ago now.

Back then the cost of £300.00 was justified as HEQ5 and NEQ6's were well out of my price range.

Now a days though the cost of a second hand HEQ5 makes the £300.00 price tag of a Synscan conversion just not viable.

You are better off saving a few more pennies and going for the HEQ5.

It may cost you £100.00 more in the long run but you are going to end up with a far superior mount that will last you a good few years to come.