• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Polar alignment / reticle

dawson

Once Polaris is in the centre of the small circle, does anyone then rotate the RA and check to see if Polaris follows the larger circle?

I have got a peripheral crack in the polar scope reticle from where i over tightened the adjustment screws when aligning it with the mounts axis, but it's right at the edge and there is no fracture though the glass, just a flake has come off.

How well does Polaris follow the outer circle for others?

James

I do that James and it follows fine along the outer (bigger circle) aside from an expected tiny wobble as my reticule is not completely, perfectly centred as I got frustrated when I was doing it an just stopped after two hours with a "that's close enough mentality" :) But in answer to your question I always check like that and then set the mount back to home and get cracking.

Once I've got polaris in the little circle, I then turn the RA through 360 degs and it follows the circumference of the bigger circle all the way round. If it doesn't, then adjust alt/az as necessary to get it following the line all the way. :)

I think mine may be misshapen after i've tightened it up so tight :(

My polar alignments aren't that bad, so not too worry for now.

Thanks both; it's good to know how it should work.

Jd

Do you think the information on polar finder will be more accurate than the handset? I've set my RA setting circle so at transit it read 00:00; using the hour angle from the handset when I've input the date and time and location i just rotate the RA to that time and the Polaris circle is exactly where the handset suggests it should be (i now don't even bother to check it's there as i know it is. I then just attach my right angled polar scope device and centre polaris. The right angle viewer is left-right inverted but it doesn't matter as i'm not altering the RA axis at this time, just the elevation and azimuth to centre.

James

Why would you centre Polaris?? It's the NCP that needs centring  ;)

I fact I use the Polar Align app  on the iPhone, just turn the little circle to that point, Azi and Alt adjust, done!

Edited by Ron Clarke