• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Yesteryear DS images

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

After a discussion in the chat room I've had a look at some of my really old images from when if first started imaging.....I first started taking pics of constellations 29years ago with a old Richo SLR then moved on to my first CCD camera about 18 years ago.....

here is one of M31 taken on film manually guided for over an hour through an old SCT... probably the best film shot I ever did

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByvDXZWAi3SvWmFxZnd4YnJKNWM/edit

The Aurora over Birmingham i think in 1998

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByvDXZWAi3SvN1B4TUtIeld1M00/edit

My first CCD image

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByvDXZWAi3SvaEpILUY2VHhOTWM/edit

and my second CCD image

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByvDXZWAi3SveV80LXlDb2JJSUE/edit

it would be nice to see some of your first shots too

cheers
peter

Edited by peter shah

Guest foundaplanet

That's real Interesting. I think the film shot is a goodun of M31, when I think of what I used to see in the old astro books that's not at all bad. Good to see the first ccd images, bet that was an exciting time, realising how much things were going to improve for the hobby. Bet you never imagined just how far you would end up being able to take it though.. Quite a ride you have been on.. Great post... :)

That M31 is incredible. Especially as it was manually guided!

CCD's have deffinately come a long way. Bet if you could show your 1990's self your recent images his eyes would pop out!

That's really interesting to see where you started Peter, thanks for that. How does one go about manually guiding? Do you mean that you manually slewed the scope inch by inch to keep it on target?

Guest peter shah

Thanks for the comments.....Manual guiding gave me a serious headache.....when I moved over to ccd it was just silly, that whole hour of exposure could be captured in about 30s...it really stunned me....I learned all about reciprocity failure and how emulsions react to long exposures while doing my photographic degree, so actually seeing the difference with something that doesn't suffer from it was incredible........

Guest peter shah

That's really interesting to see where you started Peter, thanks for that. How does one go about manually guiding? Do you mean that you manually slewed the scope inch by inch to keep it on target?

no I mean manually guiding...by using a cross haired eyepiece on a long focal length guide scope, watching a star for movement and inputting corrections into the mount via a controller....yeah I know bonkers right! :huh:

Edited by peter shah

no I mean manually guiding...by using a cross haired eyepiece on a long focal length guide scope, watching a star for movement and inputting corrections into the mount via a controller....yeah bonkers! :huh:

OMG! You must have had such a sore neck/back?! That's dedication right there. Man I bet when you think about that night and hen hunk about your full automated setup now it must make you smile huh? :)

Guest peter shah

OMG! You must have had such a sore neck/back?! That's dedication right there. Man I bet when you think about that night and hen hunk about your full automated setup now it must make you smile huh? :)

It really does Felix....especially when I remember my eyes watering and my eyelashes actually froze to the eyepiece....and knowing now the same amount of signal can be captured in only a few seconds....amazing really

Edited by peter shah

It really does Felix....especially when I remember my eyes watering and my eyelashes actually froze to the eyepiece....and knowing now the same amount of signal can be captured in only a few seconds....amazing really

Oh man I have yet to experience temperatures so low that when your eyes water it freezes?! That's dedication right there :D