• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Large flaming Meteorite tonight.

Graham

Walking home tonight at about 21.05 I was presented with the most amazing display in the sky.

A large Light green flaming 'Meteorite' entered the sky at approximately the one  o'clock position as I looked at the sky in front of me to the North west.

It headed off down towards the horizon traveling in a Northerly direction.

It lit up the Northern sky like a beacon and lasted approximately 5 seconds.

The front was just a brilliant white light and it had a tail of Light Green.

From one end to the other I would estimate to be about 5 degrees in distance.

It was spectacular to say the least. :) :) :)

Maybe someone from outer space had heard about your belt mod and wanted an upgrade, but they hadn't factored in the effect of earths atmosphere for inter-galactic parcel force.... :)

Yes I just opened the back door to let the dog out & saw this one exactly as Graham describes: I often seem to be lucky with bright meteors!

Strange, I was out watching Jupiter at the time and saw one briefly at what must have been the same time (my son had just arrived at 9 and had come up to join me - he saw it too). Not so bright and somewhat briefer. This was off to ESE from my viewpoint, but was heading south or possibly south east?

Makes sense to me Alan.

If it came down off the Norfolk coast  it would appear to be in the opposite direction to you. :)