• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First ever guided image (M45)

RonC

That's a country mile better than my first guided attempt. Well done.

Could the focus be a little off? (Fried eggs)

I usually get donuts

Guest foundaplanet

Well I know nothing about guiding yet Ron bit I'd say your off to a flyer, looking good Ron :)

I don't really understand the variations with modded cams.... Are you using a clip filter, I think after a mod they recommend the CLS/CCD to cut down on IR/UV which can cause star bloat.. I never really understood it, you get the IR filter removed and then replace it with another IR filter that allows the Ha through.. Need an expert though I reckon.

Thanks Peter, a way to go but a start!

and Yes Col I use a CLS clip filter which is a lot narrower than the Canon fitted one (I think!)

good effort Ron, looks like you`ve crack the tracking, M45 is always a tricky subject, even if there`s a small amount of cloud or the seeing is not 100% clear the brightness of the stars and the dust just lights up the whole image and makes it look like star bloat.

Great work Ron as they say this guiding stuff is hard

looks like I missed my chance as weather looking not as good tonight doh

Keep up that evil guiding magic

Allan

Thanks Rob and Allen, I've a few bits need sorting and a new focuser next year will help!!

The guiding is good Ron - As Peter said nice tight round stars especially round the edges - you've even got some nebulosity as it should be down in the bottom right corner, showing tracking pretty much spot on. Just the focus to sort out and you'll have a cracking shot. :)

(I guess playing with the camera half way through doesn't help lol :lol: )