• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Big bird

dawson

What is this?

Sorry about the awful shots, but it was quite far an my little camera was struggling. It has perched outside the house maybe 20 feet away but when I returned with the camera it had done a runner [or should that be a flapper].

Bird_zpsb8b5e810.jpg

James

It sat on the telegraph pole for what seemed like an hour, but was only 15 minutes; i was scared to take my eye off the view finder as i wanted to snap it's wing pattern. I wasn't sure if it wanted lamb for tea or not. It seemed massive!

They will take smaller stuff such as Rabbit and cats, but are lazy buggers and prefer to scavenge something already dead. That's why they aren't far from major roads around here, easy pickings if you get your timing right, otherwise natural selection takes over. :D

We saw one of these circling quite high over the house during the summer and wondered what it was. We'd only just got the IS bins and it was one of our first subjects with them - fabulous too! Striking wind colourings having the black tinge round the edges. Thanks for identifying it Ron we had no idea what it was. :)

Guest peter shah

I was expecting something from Sesame Street.....

I have a pair of buzzards nesting near by...im sure they are keeping an eye on my chickens :ph34r: .....I did see a mob of crows attacking a lamb once, it was evil :sad2: never seen a buzzard do it.

I often see crows attacking buzzards. Apparently it's a well documented behaviour of corvine family birds.

I've been attached by ravenous lambs before; most vicious, and well recorded in the ovine family.