• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Swadlincote, South Derbyshire.

Guest fondofchips

Guest fondofchips

Hi and hello to you all on East Midlands Stargazers.

Finally got round to introducing myself after joining EMS in June.

My name is Harry and I’ve now had my telescope for around 10 months.

I live in Swadlincote and do most of my stargazing from my back garden.

Have been preparing a base for a roll on/roll off observatory shed all summer, the shed is now under construction, 12 x 8 with 8 x 8 observing space and

8 x 4 warm room.  I’m looking forward to using it as it will not only give me some shelter but will greatly reduce setup time, for those nights when clear sky spells are very short.

My wife, Margaret is also very keen on Astronomy.

Hope to see some of you at Belper on Saturday.

Cheers & clear skies to all of you.

Hi Harry and welcome to EMS from me :)

Hope you enjoy the meeting at Belper and do feel free to bring a bit of kit if you want to do some observing. However it's not compulsory as there will be plenty of scopes to look through (weather permitting). I'm otherwise engaged that night but hope to meet you soon at another meeting. :)

Hi and welcome to EMS, I look forward to meeting you tomorrow.

Hope you have been enjoying the forum?

Hi harry and welcome to the forum, just completed my observatory this summer and It's great to use and keep the cold off alittle,

Look forward to meeting you on Saturday at belper.

If you need any help or advice with the build just give me a shout.

Guest fondofchips

Hope to see some of you tomorrow, will keep an eye on the weather, not looking good, BBC showing chance of a clear spell at 4pm Saturday and 2.00am - 3.00 am on Sunday.

Best to bring me scope its a long way back to Swadlincote to pick it up if it clears!

As for warm clothing I've ridden motorcycles to work through the winter, still got some of the kit left, layers, layers & more layers and still get cold.

Red Dwalf - only thing I'm pondering about to do with the obsy is the difference between refractors & reflectors as to how high they need to be on a pier.

I use my EQ5 tripod at full height with my refractor (I'm 6ft 2") but I suspect that reflectors need to be monted lower, any information would be most welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheers,

Harry.

I had the same problem when setting my pier up, there's a lot to think about, your more than welcome to pop round and have a look at my set up or check out robs obsy build in the members equipment section

Hi Harry, a warm welcome to EMS.

Look forward to meeting your better half and yourself at Belper.

If you get stuck ring me on 07970 500302, not a personal number.

I'll say hi there.