• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter 04.12.2013

catman161

NEQ6/200P/ASI120MC/Televue 2x Powermate

This was the first light of my new moonlite focuser and DC focus motor which both worked brilliantly. The focuser was solid, the motor focus and variable speed adjustment was great, pin point stars and the touc of a button, I had high hopes. Unfortunately the conditions were not very good at all monday night. There was a lot of visible high haze and when I got the camera on jupiter I immediately saw that the seeing was terrible :( It was like loking through water or when it is realy, really hot and the haze is rising off tarmac.

I am not happy with the result really. I spent over two hours messing with the focus and couldn't get it any better so the resultant image is very soft looking and the detail lacking. The image is 1581 frames of 2500 put through PIPP and then Registax 5.1.

11243716126_a1b2122d6e_o.png
Jupiter 04_12_2013 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Nice. It's clear there is the potential for lots of detail to come out, but as you say the conditions weren't right :( that's a pain.

Great news that the focuser all works a treat; and it's good to be able to have a play with the stuff in less than perfect conditions so the next god night you are already up to speed on how to get the best out of the kit.

Have you had to alter your rings on the tube at all to compensate for the heavier focuser, to keep the balance?

Jd

Very nice

wish I'd now gone for the 2x powermate rather than the 4 as having focus and image issue when trying to capture Jupiter with it

Thanks guys. I am thinking I getting a x4 powermate at some point. The thing then is needing extension tubes to allow for the extra outward travel in order to get focus. I have a stock 2 inch extension and also I got the moonlight 1.5 inch extension when bought the focuser so if I do go for the x4 I Gould be covered.

James yes I did have to change the position if the rings to ensure that it was all balanced correctly as the moonlite is significant heavier.

Felix, can you put a photo up of the Moonlight + the motor focuser please, I'm getting a Moonlight in the new year and have not thought about a motor focuser??

Cheers

Ron

Imaging planets you have to remember that the atmosphere is moving constantly, and getting precise focus only ever happens for a very brief second now and again - even in good seeing. It never stays in focus for extended periods longer than a second (or two if your lucky). The objective is to try and capture those fleeting moments of sharp focus with a running webcam and taking loads of split second frames. Your "in focus" moments should be captured within a few mins.

All you have to then do is get Registax to weed out the good ones and chuck away the bad frames. If the atmosphere however is too thick and turbulent - you get the above "splendid considering the conditions" result that Felix has captured nicely. No flash camera or moonlight focuser or Powermate can compensate in this case - but they will excel when the seeing is good - even then you still have to accept the best possible focus you can achieve. :)

I'm always amazed that we use such a high proportion of frames to stack, when in fact probably only 5% of them are what we'd call "sharp" (and that is a lose term)!

The software is very clever.

James

P.S. Felix is clever too.

Planetary imaging can be really rewarding when everything comes right, scope at right temp, good seeing, steady atmosphere, brain engaged, kit working. But it only takes one of those to throw the image off and in most cases here in dear old blighty its the atmospherics. I look at the jetstream forecast now and do not even think about planetary if its over us.

The other week it shifted northwards and I got the best visual with the mak180 on Jupiter I have had since I got it and I have been out with it at least 8 times.

Felix, can you put a photo up of the Moonlight + the motor focuser please, I'm getting a Moonlight in the new year and have not thought about a motor focuser??

Cheers

Ron

Will do Ron-I'll put it in the member equipment section. I highly recommend the motor focuser Ron it allows a great level of control. Until the other night I had always put up with the OTA shaking every time I adjusted the focus by hand when imaging planets/moon and how it's great. The only downside is that you can only mount the motor on the left hand side of the focuser (I emailed moonlite to check if there was another way but they said no). It doesn't affect the image at all it's just my OCD about keeping everything looking neat!

The software is very clever.

James

P.S. Felix is clever too.

I'm not clever (but thanks James!) I swear 95% of my planetary is luck and experimentation (with processing) and the other 5% merely consists of just me assembling my equipment! Ha ha! I am going to make a concerned effort to read more about it so I can get some theory into my head about this planetary imaging malarkey!

Planetary imaging can be really rewarding when everything comes right, scope at right temp, good seeing, steady atmosphere, brain engaged, kit working. But it only takes one of those to throw the image off and in most cases here in dear old blighty its the atmospherics. I look at the jetstream forecast now and do not even think about planetary if its over us.

The other week it shifted northwards and I got the best visual with the mak180 on Jupiter I have had since I got it and I have been out with it at least 8 times.

This is just it isn't it Phil? There are so many variables and it seems a rarity that they all come together at once but when they do it's great :)

What site do you use for the jet stream forecast Phil?