• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moonlite DC Motor for Moonlite Focuser

catman161

At the request of Ron below is a photo of the Moonlite DC Motor for use with the Crayford style (also other types-the motor is the same but the fixing bracket is different).

One thing I would say is that even though the motor focuser has a slip clutch meaning you can disengage the motor and focus by hand again you're probably not likely to do this unless the batteries in the hand control run out perhaps. SO if you're wondering whether to go for the CR1 (single speed) or the CR2 (dual speed with microfocuser knob) I would say go for the CR1 as you will achieve the same (if not better) level of control when you set the speed to slow on the motor unit. Plus the CR1 is cheaper so you can save yourself a bit of cash. Having said that the other night when I had given up on imaging Jupiter I did disengage the motor (simple turn of a thumb wheel to do this) and did some visual just focusing by hand so I suppose it depends what you want to do I guess.

Anyway enough of my rambling the picture is below :)

11250353033_12200f9abb_o.jpg
Moonlite DC motor Focuser by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Thanks Felix, room for thought. It's 12v I suppose and how long is the controller wire please? (not a silly question as my warm room is 1.5m away from the scope!)

Cheers

Ron

Hey Ron the power for the motor is just two AA batteries in the hand controller. The cable between the hand controller an the motor unit is a 3.5mm stereo (headphone) jack and the cable is 6ft long

Guest Kheldar

If you have a mount hub you can also drive the focuser from that - saves the expense of the control box :)

Edit : just noticed this is the DC version not the stepper version so my comment is invalid :)

Edited by Kheldar

is the motor focuser ascom compliant ? if so it could also be controlled with software on the pc, Sharpcap and APT for instance

is the motor focuser ascom compliant ? if so it could also be controlled with software on the pc, Sharpcap and APT for instance

Not the DC motor Rob but the stepper motor is ascom compliant. Having said that the DC motor and hand control is £180 and the Stepper motor is £400 (with controller).