• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Weather map

dawson

I've seen somewhere recently a map which showed the UK, and a colour system which graded the sky in terms of number of clear nights a year and amount of light pollution, but I can't find it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I've got a week off at the end of Jan, and I'd like to get away. I'm just toying with going to North Wales where I know the cottage and if the sky is clear I know there is minimal light pollution, but the risk of cloud is always high there, versus going somewhere with less risk of cloud, but unknown in terms of neighbours halogen lights and road traffic etc.... Decisions, decisions.

JD

Kim, can we get all the weather links / apps together and put them in a sticky thread at the top of this section so they can all stay together?

James

IIRC Ron there is a page in the forum that consolidates all "astro relevant" links. I'll find it and get this one added. :)

Ron it does, but looking at cottages for rent there most are adjacent to other cottages or on a main road or wide lane. I do like my solitude, and the place I've found in North Wales literally is in the middle of no where which suits me. Kind of better the devil you know. And as I say, even if it's cloudy, there are places to visit, or I'm, happy just to sit by the log fire and read (well usually sleep!).

Unless anyone has a recommendation in East Anglia which is isolated.

James

Agreed James if you don't mind the driving! If you had a caravan you could go anywhere!!

Yes, I've often thought about a massive caravan with central heating and a hot shower; I could probably cope with that :)

I don't think it's on the cards for now, but maybe when I get the lottery win.

I can do north wales in just under 3 hours, which is about my limit for driving in one day with my pain-in-the-bum back.

I might just book the place now and then I've got something to look forwards to, and leave the rest of EMS to do the out reach activity :)

James

My little 2 berth van is very warm and has a shower, it cost less then an HEQ8!

Get it booked James and I wish you clear skies in Wales!  :)

Thanks for that link. Looks like I'm lucky but then I just need to look up to see I am. Just need to improve on the number if clear nights ;)

Tom, don't brag too much or we'll all be up there visiting with caravans and tents..... :)

James

Badger farm definitely impressed me and I think is just has the edge on my location

Ron is your passing my way pop in a check it out :)

James, Unfortunately there's no facilities nearby for a star camp unless you want to rough. It with the sheep in the field next door :D

Edited by Teslar

Tom, Badger Farm is not where we held EMS1, it's about 15 miles West of there in the Wolds (high up!).

EMS1 was at Anderby as was EMS2 and I expect EMS3 will be!

Cheers

Ron