• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ASI120 Framerate ands settings

Guest Eddy

I've gone ahead and bought an SSD for the laptop in hope of higher FPS, currently setting it all up and just ran a test on my main PC SSD and I can manage a respectable 114fps at 640x480 in firecapture, and about 67fps at 800x800, but I was just wondering what else everyone else manages?

I'm yet to try it on my new laptop SSD but will update the post once I get some results.

Depends on the object and the conditions.

The thing i read recently said an exposure setting of 1/30th to 1/60th second for jupiter, the gain as low as possible (<50), region of interest as small as possible.

Does the state of the hard drive affect the preview frame rate or only the recorded frame rate?

I also remember reading somewhere that a frame rate of greater than 60 fps was not advised for planets, but i've yet to get my head around that advice as long as you are getting enough light on the sensor and not having to have the gain too high.

James

Ok i've done some tests on the laptop, i'm managing almost 30fps at full res, and almost 60fps at 800x800, so it's definately a good results for me :D Easier moon mosaics here I come.

Before I was only managing about 10fps at full res I think

Not familiar with the camera but I believe the 60fps limit is recommended due to the transfer rate from the chip.

I think i've hit the transfer rate of usb2 now, or at least the usb controller in the laptop(as the PC gets about 17fps more on 800x800), but i'm getting approx 3x more FPS than what I had without the SSD :)