• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which CCD

Guest Mr T

Hello imagers,

I've upgraded my mount to an iOptron EQ45, I have just purchased a 115mm f7 triplet, my next big thing on my shopping list is a CCD camera. This purchase will be quite a few months off, but I will start research now. At the moment I don't really understand the science of pixel sizes, quantum efficiency and all the rest. I want to image a range of objects like nebula and galaxies, my location is quite rural, not street lights, just neighbours outside lights, I can see milky way and andromeda galaxy naked eye. For the moment I will continue with my DSLR and try to get my head around autoguiding. So, my question is what CCD cameras do you experienced CCD imagers recommend, and why? My budget, well not too sure at the moment, but probably 2K ish, I will save longer to get the right camera.

Thanks

Mark

Nice budget for a ccd Mark - more than mine lol.

But I'm in a similar position and I've been looking at the 314L+ and the 383 Atiks for some time. It's worth you looking at those too because the rest of the budget will quickly go on electronic filter wheels, reducers/flateners, and filters if you're aiming at narrow band. I'm still not sure whether to make life a whole lot easier and go OSC.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Guest Kheldar

314 at that focal length is going to be a very small FOV (38 arcmin x 28 arcmin,) you might not catch all the bigger targets you suggest with it.

Consider the larger Sony ... namely the SX H694 or the Atik 460ex :)

Guest Kheldar

Nice budget for a ccd Mark - more than mine lol.

But I'm in a similar position and I've been looking at the 314L+ and the 383 Atiks for some time. It's worth you looking at those too because the rest of the budget will quickly go on electronic filter wheels, reducers/flateners, and filters if you're aiming at narrow band. I'm still not sure whether to make life a whole lot easier and go OSC.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Atik 4000 over the 383 ... just my 2p ;)

if i had 2k to spend on a ccd i`d go for the atik 460, i seen a few results from that camera and they are amazing, bigish chip and no real need to take any darks either which would save alot of time, would take up the budget so not alot left for filters and wheels

Thanks everyone. I'll start looking at those models you suggest. You mention filter wheels and filtets, I guess you all favour mono over colour? I bought a flattener but not a reducer, do I need a reducer?

not sure of your model of scope but you usually get the reducer and flatner combined into one unit, the reducer should bring down the f ratio of the scope which is a good idea for imaging, faster the better,

more detail captured in a mono camera capture than a one shot colour but i wouldn`t be too put off buying a one shot colour, it`s a bit of personal choice but if i was buying a 2k ccd i`d want the best out of it so would go for mono.

Guest Kheldar

Do you need a reducer? No.

Would you benefit from it? Probably.

Reducer will increase your FOV and increase the speed of the scope - you then have options for slightly larger targets :)

Thanks everyone. I'll start looking at those models you suggest. You mention filter wheels and filtets, I guess you all favour mono over colour? I bought a flattener but not a reducer, do I need a reducer?

most of us favour mono over OSC as you get more detail.. But OSC some find easier and quicker to get the images.  Depends what you

want really.

Ah I wondered what OSC stood for. Thanks, I'll have a good read up, I think I'll go for mono, eventhough the learning curve seems steeper. Reducer sounds like a useful device to have too. The model of scope I have just bought is altair astro 115 f7 triplet. I've had 2 sessions with it visually and just a few short subs to work out how it all fits together. I am impressed by the contrast, star colour and flat field compared to reflectors I have always used. Can't decide yet whether to keep or sell my sw 200p.

Did you get the interferogram with it Mark?

I got one with mine and was interested to compare with yours if you could pop a picture of it up? They are very nice scopes visually, and I've just started imaging with mine - I'd be dead interested to see how the original one's compare with the current new ones photographically. :)

Yes I did get the interferogram with it although I bought the scope second hand, I believe it is about a year old. I asked about the interfergram and how to make sense of it whilst in Altair Astro shop, Ian at Altair said to read the interfergram you need to run it through software. So unless you have the software, I'm unsure of the usefulness of it. Ian said my scope was about 95 - 96 strehl. It a bit technical for me, but I am happy to compare notes.

Further, Ian at AA told me he uses the original 115 for most of his imaging and I think the main difference from later models is the paint job, although the latest batch will have a different focuser. I believe the optics are the same.

Nope - I don't have the software for it - I just thought there might be something visually comparable between them - I'm still not 100% sure how best to interpret the test.

Yep I have the original paint job on mine - in fact I prefer it to the current livery - but many don't lol. About time the focuser was changed - the old one's like mine are fine and I like rack and pinion - but it's a bit awkward to adjust and tune. Even Olly noted they were a bit "slack" in his revue in AN and require tightening up.

We'll just have to compare pics I guess lol :)

I'll scan my inyrtferogram and email a copy to compare. But I asked AA how do I read this and he said with software. My scope got a crayford type focuser, its the first time I have used one, it seems fine to me, doesn't seem to slip with dslr and flattener attached, but I've only used it twice. The next model will be rack and pinion.

hello again Mark, glad to hear you are getting on good with 115edt (was mine ), interested to hear you want to start imaging ,big budget for ccd !, I got started with the 115 & bought an Inova plb c2  from Atair, ok  not state of the art ,but good to get going with, have a word with Ian at Altair he can advise. My own experience  is if youre not well up on tech stuff ,like me , learn with basic before jumping in too deep, I had some really pleasing shots of Jupiter & venus  with 115 & this camera,