• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M42 from the 4th December

red dwalf

M42 from the 4th of December,

Starwave 80 ED with reducer / flatner attached

unmodified Canon 1100d, guided with Atik Titan and ST 80

9 x 20 seconds lights

10 x 20 seconds darks

stacked in DSS

messed around alittle in Photoshop 3, i don`t know what i`m doing in Photoshop.

g7zi.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

Ahh, well Ron as it happens I do have a few more images with longer subs, 10 x 60 seconds and 6 x 180 seconds, what I wanted to try was the longer subs which will over expose the core then add these 20 second subs so the core looks normal again, don't know how to do this yet and I haven't got round to stacking the other subs yet,

one massive thing I've discovered is that the autosaved images from DSS are alot better than the ones I saved as tiff files on my desktop, lots more colour in them, I must be doing something wrong when I save the images manually, always wondered why there was hardly any colour in my older images.

That is lovely. Framed really nicely in a dark background. Looks very solitary, ethereal.

Good work.

James

I noticed I had the running man when the subs came in eddy but can't quite bring it out in the 20 second subs,

Might get more out of it in the longer subs.

Also really need to calibrate my monitor, anyone know how to do it properly.

Nice image mate :D

Have not been able to do a video for  PS processing as promised, but if you want to call round I can try and show you what Steve showed me plus been on Astroshed tutorials getting a few pointers

been having a big play with Photoshop today and i think i`ve managed to get the images of M42 looking alittle more natural.

now just need to combine all the subs together.

firstly the 9 x 20 seconds

bxd4.jpg

secondly the 9 x 60 second subs

8isf.jpg

lastly the 5 x 180 second subs

13w3.jpg

I wish someone would give the in's and out's of combining images in PS in layman's terms? These combined would make a stunning final image Rob! (I like the 180s subs!)  :)

Edited by Ron Clarke

thanks Ron,

i`m having a go at combining them now, if it works i`ll let you know how i did it.

fingers crossed

Hi Rob.

There's plenty of detail in there. 

Have a go at pulling the left hand slider of the curve up to the start of the solid part of the curve. (Hope that makes sense!)

this deepens the background and helps contrast without the graininess of the contrast tool.

A gentle nudge up on saturation helps the colours stand out.

Hope this helps.

:2thumbsup:

YES !!!!!!

finially managed to combine all the different sub lengths into one image and take out the overexposed core, feel like i`m finally getting somewhere.

thanks to Paul for the e-mail yesterday, the imformation worked a treat and on my first attempt, although i`ll have to go over it a few times to get the hang of it.

Ron if you send me your e-mail address i`ll send the instructions to you for removing the overexposed cores that Paul sent me.

anyway for now let me post my final efforts, sorry it`s in jpeg form so i could upload it to the forum.

7av9.jpg

Edited by red dwalf