• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which Light Pollution Filter?

catman161

I am looking to get a LPF. I have been looking at the Orion ultra narrowband and the baader neodymium filters. Any advice opinions on which to go for, or indeed alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Felix

The one I have is a Baader Neodymium 2" filter, it works pretty well, it cuts through the street light glow.

I once compared a view of distant galaxies with it and without, and the with did indeed make the galaxy a little more visible, but only just.

In my experience there isn't much to pick between LPR's these days - someone may differ on this lol. They tend to all do the same thing blocking out street l ights and making the moon easier to view when bright. Shouldn't cost you more than circa £20 brand new - the one's you're looking at are reet posh and expensive.

If it's for the zoom then the 1.25" will be enough and it'll fit your other ep's too. 2" will be wasted unless you get some half decent big ep's. I'd save the money and maybe get a small lpr and something else - perhaps a 2" nosepiece for the zoom? (for extra stability and ease of use) :)

Thanks Mick and Kim :). Was wondering if there was much difference in the more expensive models.

Just so ya know that bresser 203 is ending in 12 mins and currently on ££371 bargain :)

Yeah I did thanks again for the loan Kim :) I thought it mostly made everything darker and did not really highlight things. I tried it on M42 and it made the entire thing darker rather than making any elements stand out. I used it on the moon also and it seemed to again just make it appear as though I was observing with sunglasses on rathe than improve contrast or make anything stand out.

Edited by catman161

I have the baader 1.25 neodymium and it works pretty well for me when observing over the orange glow of Belper

I have the baader 1.25 neodymium and it works pretty well for me when observing over the orange glow of Belper

Thanks dude, I think I may be asking too much of any filter where I live as it is insanely bright. You can see zero stars in the Pegasus square ;)

You may well be better going for a neodyme then Felix (so long as you're sure you didn't mix up the lpr with the green filter that was in there too lol) :)

Ha ha ha, I tried all the pieces in the kit. Wasn't really sure what the green one was for but tried it anyway! Lol :)

To be honest - the filters are the same standard as the eyepieces - all pretty basic really. The LPR was the £20 one from Rother Valley. But I know you prefer the better more expensive stuff (I think it's imprinted in your character now lol). So the Baader is my preferred recommendation :)

Guest Kheldar

There's not much at all between the SW and the Baader, I have a Baader now purely because a good deal came up on a 2"

The Astronomik CLS is better hands down and should funds ever permit I'll purchase a 2" version of that to compliment my EOS clip.

Beyond that (if we want to buy the best!) you want an IDAS filter, but best cancel the wedding first ......

Edited by Kheldar

Guest NadeemShah

Depends what type of lights you have. I used to have the Orange Sodium lights & the CLS clip was very good, but now the street lights have been replaced by white/yellow LEDS which shine down, which is great now, as now I can easily spot 80-100 odd stars on a good night certainly a improvement over 20-30 odd stars with the previous lights.

But the best LPR filters i've heard of are IDAS, you can actually get one which clips into your canon DSLR camera, but a bit costly....

I did have the Skywatcher 2" LPR but found that I could not do guided subs more then 2mins....

The Astronomik CLS Filters do give a slight blue tint to your images, but you can filter that out....

Nadeem.

Edited by NadeemShah

Thanks for your help guys. The wedding will still go ahead regardless of what I buy ( Stephen :) ). I will look into the others as I have not seen them.

Kim you're right I have got a thing for buying the more expensive stuff. But to be honest I have always been like that. With my skydiving when it came to buying my first rig, I could have bought a perfectly good one for £3000 but no I went for the £5500 one! I even paid £400 extra for an added piece of equipment that deploys my reserve chute a lot quicker than regular rigs and guess what it has saved my life twice now!!!

At present I am leaning towards the baader but I will check out the IDAS ;)

Edited by catman161

When a telescope fails you just get a new one - when a parachute fails you get squished. I'll save your life forever - ditch skydiving and get a monster scope - and you can get an Ethos with the spare £400 lol :)

Ha ha ha! That's never gonna happen Kim. There's no feeling more exciting than falling at 120mph in a stable body position turning points with your team mates :).

Although I do very much enjoy hunting for messier objects, the adrenaline rush is not quite the same :)

Guest Kheldar

Ha ha ha! That's never gonna happen Kim. There's no feeling more exciting than falling at 120mph in a stable body position turning points with your team mates :).

Although I do very much enjoy hunting for messier objects, the adrenaline rush is not quite the same :)

Did you consider exchanging your vows at terminal velocity? (I'm not being arsey, it's a serious question) :)

Did you consider exchanging your vows at terminal velocity? (I'm not being arsey, it's a serious question)

I would have loved to do it that way Stephen but, alas my better half never has and never will ever skydive-she is unbelievably afraid of heights! :)