• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dark site membership

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

Now about this dark site membership lark for 20 quid per year.

I cannot find anything about it when clicking on subscription.

Is it just payment for going to dark sites ?

Do members get a free mince pie at Xmas and a spray can of, 'Cloud Clear.' ? :)

Guest Kheldar

It's a little out of date but all the information is here

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/43-what-are-the-benefits-to-a-darksite-membership/

Essentialy for your £20 you get access to both dark sites (Belper and Wymeswold,) the four quarterly meets (talks) and a private invitation to the Xmas do :)

You're allowed to come and see the dark sites before signing up, a mod will normally provide the address if you want to come - however meets are arranged on the spur of the moment and can be cancelled (due to weather) with 30 minutes notice :)

Edited by Kheldar

Guest peepshow

Thanks, but when I clicked on your link it says, "Sorry, we couldn't find that!"

and under that, "You do not have permission to view this forum."

I am signed in BTW, as a forum member.

However, Stephen,  you have answered my query about membership anyway. Thanks.

Guest Kheldar

Thanks, but when I clicked on your link it says, "Sorry, we couldn't find that!"

and under that, "You do not have permission to view this forum."

I am signed in BTW, as a forum member.

However, Stephen,  you have answered my query about membership anyway. Thanks.

Maybe one for Craig, I thought that post should be in the "public" Dark Site section .....

Edited by Kheldar

Craig will check this out for us folks.

The Dark Sites at Belper and Wymeswold can be visited free for your first visit but we do have to pay for them and we all donate £20 per year for the rental. If you enjoy your visit and find the site suitable and want to join up, then you get access all year round 24x7 - but we use cricket grounds currently and we avoid clashing with the cricketers when they have after match functions that extend into the night.

For your club subscription you also get invited to astro events that we organise from time to time including: group trips to observatories (Greenwich, Jodrel Bank, local Uni's, etc), preference for pitches on group bookings at major star parties (Kelling, SGLn, EMSn, etc), and other social events (Xmas party, summer bbq's, etc).

The subs also cover third party insurance at dark sites and star parties organised by EMS (visitors, guests and members are covered but equipment isn't), running costs for the forum, occasionally special awards made for outstanding contribution to the club by individual members, fees of visiting speakers, and ancilliary presentation equipment when required.

EMS is managed entirely and without exception by totally unpaid volunteers. Hth :)

You also get access to the darksites that are run by ELAC out in the wilds of Lincolnshire.

Not bad for £20 a year.

You also get access to the darksites that are run by ELAC out in the wilds of Lincolnshire.

Not bad for £20 a year.

I didn't know that :)

Best £20 I've ever spent :)

I didn't know that :)

Best £20 I've ever spent :)

It was just a mutual thing we both agreed to.

Members of ELAC can use our darksites and we can use there's. After all we are all EMS anyway.

Guest peepshow

Maybe one for Craig, I thought that post should be in the "public" Dark Site section .....

Just trying to keep non members in the dark I guess. :)

Got any non cloudy sites tucked away for an extra fiver.

Just trying to keep non members in the dark I guess. :)

Got any non cloudy sites tucked away for an extra fiver.

I think I'm reading that correctly and that you are in jest?

Just to point out as a non staff member, and for the benefit of any other non dark site member reading this, the reason why the forum has a 2 tier system is that it's unfair to charge everybody £20 a year for a service they won't use (we have members all over the country). EMS does not intentionally keep members in the dark, hence Stephens comment above. EMS also does not run for profit, any money that has been accumulated over the years has just bought us a projector for out reach programs, such as next months BBC stargazing live that some of us are running at a local school. The rest goes to running costs and insurance as well as rent.

To get back on point, there has to be some perks to dark site membership, but that in no ways will affect the non dark site members enjoyment of EMS.

Anyway, I have waffled on for too long......

;)

Guest CodnorPaul

Best £20 ever spent - darksites are great, and the members are fantastic - really helpful and sociable, I prefer it to observing on my own and learn so much  :)

Talking about outstanding contributions I must at this point let you know that the projector didn't come out of club funds at all - it was purchased by Sheila who donated it to the club. So credit where it's due please.

I thought everyone knew - they do now lol :)

It's a little out of date but all the information is here

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/43-what-are-the-benefits-to-a-darksite-membership/

Essentialy for your £20 you get access to both dark sites (Belper and Wymeswold,) the four quarterly meets (talks) and a private invitation to the Xmas do :)

You're allowed to come and see the dark sites before signing up, a mod will normally provide the address if you want to come - however meets are arranged on the spur of the moment and can be cancelled (due to weather) with 30 minutes notice :)

I've moved that specific thread to a more general area and pinned it. That link will now work. :)

I've also added a much better description to the package so people know what it is: http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/subscriptions/