• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Recommended Eyepieces for my Scope?

Guest MelissaPhillips

Guest MelissaPhillips

Hello all,

I have this scope http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html and I understand it is classed as a 'fast' scope and requires good eyepieces to bring out the best of its abilities.

I am wondering what makes of eyepiece you would recommend?

I am using the 10mm and 25mm that came with the scope, and I also have a Skywatcher 15mm. I would like a more powerful eyepiece for planetary viewing, such as a 7mm, and also a less powerful one with a wider field of view, maybe a 35-40mm?

Recommendations please :-)

Guest Kheldar

Eyepieces are very subjective - get to the dark site and I'm sure you will be able to borrow a few :)

What sort of budget were you thinking of?

Edited by Kheldar

Hi, depends on your budget.

In my opinion, the stock eps that came with your scope need binning, especially the 10mm, I stuck with the stock eps for a year before upgrading to a Baader Hyperion Zoom ep (8mm to 24mm) then stuck with that for a year before getting a Tele Vue 13mm ep, the zoom was £175 and the Tele Vue was £435, so how much you have to spend is also a factor.

The Celestron Xcels are recommended as being good, as are the BST explorers, they range in price from £45 up to £70 odd. The trouble with eps are they are a very personal choice, what one person loves, someone else will hate.

Wait till you've been to Badger Farm Melissa, you can try as many eyepieces as you can and see which suit you and you're scope.

Good planning now will save you a lot of money in the long run!!

See you at BF

Ron

I like Daz's recommendation for the Excels and the BSTs (or the TMBs too) - all very popular. And I like the Hyperions also - the 8mm especially would be good in your scope - it gives very nice views in my 12" dob. Because yours is a fast scope you will benefit hugely from the best eyepieces possible within your budget. I like the TV Radians - but as mentioned - it's very much down to personal choice and best to try before you buy.

The 24mm Panoptic is quite special cos it works well in most types of scope and delivers a beautiful crisp image, and something around 30mm to 35mm for low power views would be good - but choose a wide angle one. I never buy new any more - there's plenty of good quality ep's for sale on "astro buy sell" for a half to a third of retail price. :)

Remember Melissa the smaller the eyepiece the quicker the object yor viewing will move out of sight in the eyepiece so the more often you will gave to move you're telescope. I have a 6mm tmb planetary eyepiece im happy to let you have a go with it to see if you like it. I will have it at badger farm next weekend.

Just to add to Dave's comments above, he mentions that the smaller the ep the quicker the object will move out of the field of view, this is true but you also need to take into account the field of view of the ep in question, for example, some of us on here have an ep that is 13mm but has an apparent field of view of 100 degrees, so the object you are viewing will stay in the field of view longer in that ep, than it will in a ep of 82 degrees.

Although the Dob will do a credible job on the Planets, they excel at finding the fainter objects, and my scope works best with a 26-28mm eyepiece. This is usually a 2" one but gives the benefit of having a good field of view, decent eye relief, and is just comfortable to use.

Having a low magnification but wide field is useful for galaxies, nebula's, open cluster's and so on.

The BST explorers are very good value for the money, I had the 12 and 18mm and can recommend them both. They are a fair step up from the stock eyepieces, but to be fair the 25mm isn't too bad. The 10mm though is poor.

Definitely have a look through the various eyepieces the ELAC folks have, when you find the one that suits you it will stand right out. At the end of the night just have a think about which gave you the best experience, and which gave you the view you were looking for, don't be swayed by brand or price.

The maximum magnification that I have found delivers a good view is around 180-200X, this is limited by the weather most of the time, but on the odd night the 6mm did well.

Have a read of this, I found it very informative.

http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

I have an f4 scope though not a dob. I've tried my Hyperions in and it works for me. Though many will say these mid price range ep's are not suited to fast scope. I actually use them mainly for my Mak and find them excellent there.

Guest MelissaPhillips

To be honest I don't really know what price range I should be looking at for an eyepiece? I know that the Skywatcher Plossl ones can be picked up fairly cheap, under £40 but didn't know whether these were any good or not? I'm not really sure what to look for that makes an eyepiece good, if that makes sense. I've been looking at Jupiter through my 10mm and have so far been impressed, so can imagine how amazed I'll be when I look at it through a better eyepiece!

The 8mm Hyperion will work superb and cost around £60-£65 used (unless you can negotiate down a bit). And a 30mm William Optics 2" wide field eyepiece you should be able to get around £40-£45 used (or around £30 for any clone like GSO).

There are alternatives as always (listed above) - but that's all the more reason to try some out at a meeting - then you'll know exactly what you want and how it matches the budget. Generally - anything over the £40 mark is gonna be a huge revelation for you. :)

Look for anything that is sharp and crisp, focuses easily, has little or no internal reflections, has good eye relief, and is comfy to use, and you won't go far wrong.

Guest foundaplanet

Wait till you've been to Badger Farm Melissa, you can try as many eyepieces as you can and see which suit you and you're scope.

Good planning now will save you a lot of money in the long run!!

See you at BF

Ron

What Ron said..... Their will be a bucket full of stuff to try out if we get some clear skies and there is nothing better than first hand experience. Just make sure you dress for a cold one, if it is windy up there it WILL be bitterly cold..

Hi Melissa, what Ron and Col said. When you come to our meet we do have a varied selection of eyepieces and you will be more than welcome to try any in your scope. Try before you buy. ;)

Guest devil74

Hi Melissa...I'd just like to echo what has been said above really.

When I started about a year ago I didn't even have a scope but when I did I soon started upgrading my eyepieces. I can personally vouch for the BST Explorers..they are a cracking eyepiece for the money (I think they are branded Starguider now) and not far behind the Baader Hyperion in my opinion.

I have since upgraded again but for around £50 each these eyepieces are well worth it.

Also Melissa when/if you do upgrade your eyepieces or any other kit you can always sell the stuff you already have, this is very common and if looked after astro gear tends to sell pretty well.

Damian