• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bomber Boys!

RonC

Ewen McGregor and his pilot brother did a great job explaining the bombers roll in WW2 tonight. Great flying shots of the Lancaster and the bravery of the crews came over very well, a good Sunday night on the telly for once!

There is no better sound than a Merlin being thrashed.

Superb engineering.

They are still building them from scratch in America, as nothing else comes close for air racing.

I'm with all of you on this, we get a spitfire doing aerobatics in the derwent valley from time to time, pure ballet.

We get the odd spitfire over Hucknall due to Rolls Royce being here, I was also at an airfield a few years ago when the Vulcan they rebuilt took off for the first time, that thing is massive!

Just watched the recording of bomber boys - excellent TV. Ewan McGregor displays a genuine empathy with the men and their exploits

Sounds a good programme, what channel was it on, may be able to catch up on one of the on line websites like BBC IPlayer?

Well worth a watch! I get spoilt here for the sounds of Merlin engines roaring about, I'm on the Coningsby flight path and the Spitfires

visit the College here often for the student flyers!

Them new fangled jet things just don't have the same character.

Blink and you have missed it.

Now Iam getting all nostalgic for the Vulcan and Concorde.

When I was a kid, a Vulcan did test flights into East Midlands, to see if the runway would take Concorde, having the power to bail out if it went pear shaped. It just seemed to hang there, going really slowly.

What, the same job as the old lady had on the program? That's great!!

Martyn when I was a kid, my brother and I watched 15 Vulcans scramble form RAF Waddington!! AWESOME!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

I'll bet that was noisy, they had a howl at a certain point, probably resonance in the combustion chamber, there's a clip on youtube somewhere, I'll see if i can find it.

Just love that WW2 memorial fly bye - seen it live at many airshows when I was younger. And wow Ron - a scramble of Vulcans - awesome - we used to have single Vulcans do runway passes at Leics Airshow, but I woulda loved to see five at a time. We went down to Fairford during GW1 to watch the B52's take off fully loaded with live weapons - takes them about 3 miles to get in the air and boy do they make an intimidating racket lol :)

We were watching a program about the Antonov 225, the big brother of the 124, and wow is that huge, 600 tons with 280 tons of fuel, which it burns at 18 tons an hour.

It was built to carry the Buran, the Russian Shuttle, which sadly never flew.

The aircraft lay rotting for eight years, before they decided to restore it for civilian use, and it's pretty much booked up all the time now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225

There's a big Antinov that flies into Brize Norton on a regular basis, it's huge!! See it quite often, I'll put a photo in my gallery.