• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Head Light Torch

Guest Fluke

After seeing so many of you wearing these the other night they appear an essential accessory!

Will a cheapo one off ebay do the job? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Fluke

I would say any would do, perhaps a dual red light / white light could be beneficial for packing up. The one I had was only £5 from JTF in Hucknall, so nothing special.

I had a look in JTF on Sunday, they had none in, but I'll get a handful next time they have some.

They are handy as they leave both hands free, mostly for sticking in your pockets!

Guest Kheldar

Beware those dual use ones, you WILL switch it the wrong way and annoy someone ;)

I got a cheap one like that, and just took the white LEDs out ...

Never switch the white on by mistake. Fortunately its nautically coded Red ---- Port === push switch to left!

Never knew that.

I all ways think of right is white, helps me.......

Never looked at mine I just cover it with my hand until the the red lights up. It goes through white>flashing white>Red.

Never looked at mine I just cover it with my hand until the the red lights up. It goes through white>flashing white>Red.

I Do the same Mick. I have an energizer one that has 4 white light settings to cycle through before I get to the red LEDs.

Felix

They are handy as they leave both hands free, mostly for sticking in your pockets!

That made me smile, clearly easily pleased. :lol:

We need to sort out a red torch or two, so we can one each.

Love the avatar, that's one happy Jack Rascal!

Thank you. Jack Rascal, lol, perfect description, you must have experience.

The pic was taken whilst camping last September, as it happens around his 15th Birthday, he had stolen one of chairs, :rolleyes:

lol, I wondered why you didn't turn it off Mick. Who was there last week, (Sawley). I didn't know what there names were on here???

The way to remember the old nautical saying I was taught in my sailing days was; There's no port left in the bottle, reminding you that port is is left and that port is red in colour. The opposite being green= starboard.

M. ; )

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mark,

Very similar, Red Port, Green Starboard, didn't help the Danish freighter that passed so close to me I could see that there was nobody on the bridge!

Cheers

Hi Mark,

Very similar, Red Port, Green Starboard, didn't help the Danish freighter that passed so close to me I could see that there was nobody on the bridge!

Cheers

LMAO!!! That sounds like an absolute nightmare....

What happened?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest black eyed hexy

Not heard of a dimmable red head torch on here, I bought two dimmable white led,s head lamps. these had a dimmer switch on the battery box attached to the head band. I glued small pieces of red filter sheet over the lens and whallah!, these also have a light tilt as well===brill. anybody interested I,ll give the website =£15 each. dan