• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Peir and G11 Mount

Guest bazer_20002000

Guest bazer_20002000

Hi this is a bit of a test of getting pictures into posts and also some pictures of my newly installed pier and modified G11 mount.  The new shiny alloy parts are those that I have added.  The pier sits in a 1.5m hole in the patio :).  I am next to a fire station and have limited access to Polaris for alignment.  Its just above the light shade of the flood light.

The pier and mount

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113698358@N06/11809286553/

The location of Polaris fortunately the lights are mostly off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113698358@N06/11809302583/

The modified G11.  The red canon encoder can yield 80,000 lines per REV which can then be interpolated by up to 2056.  I hope to use 400x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113698358@N06/11809074035/

If anyone has been using a Losmandy G11 and recording PEC I would really appreciate you getting in touch as I would like to compare PEC curves.

Cheers and clear skies

Barry

Very nice Barry :)

How come it's crammed up the corner next to the wall though? Or is it just the camera angle making it look that way?

Thats nice Barry, I do like the G11s. I almost got one a few years ago but went for the Celestron cge (original version not the new plastic pro) instead. The red encoder, is that digital circles/goto?

Guest bazer_20002000

Very nice Barry :)

How come it's crammed up the corner next to the wall though? Or is it just the camera angle making it look that way?

Yes its not the best place is it.  Its about the only place in the front garden where I can get to see Polaris for alignment.  I hope the pier will reduce the setup time.

However, I am surrounded by other houses and its the one place I can get a good view of the southern / western sky so I have had to put up with some restrictions on the North and East.  The wall also helps to serve to reduce light pollution from the fire station that's next door.  I tried to plead my case for dark skies when the station was modernised but there are big floodlights everywhere.  Most of the time they are off (after having a few words with them) but its amazing how many watts of light they need to park and get in and out of their cars.  The good side is if I have a fire in the house they are there ready to protect their cars.

I had looked forward to one or two streetlights being turned off but Notts policy has changed so I am stuck with light pollution filters which to be fair are quite good.

Cheers

Barry

Guest bazer_20002000

Thats nice Barry, I do like the G11s. I almost got one a few years ago but went for the Celestron cge (original version not the new plastic pro) instead. The red encoder, is that digital circles/goto?

Thanks for your interest Phil. 

The red encoder is for feedback to the SiTech servo drive.  In theory this can remove the need for PEC as the encoder can report the exact position of the axis during tracking and the servo can adjust for any error in theoretical position vs actual position.  However, I don't think its actually working that well.  I guess its a bit like the Meade drive master but a lot better encoder. 

The control side has become a bit of an obsession and a learning curve  for some other mounts / scopes I have as "projects" these include a Fullerscope MKIV and a custom mount for a f12 pair of binoculars (4 inch objectives) that I picked up.  I believe the latter was originally built by someone working in RR at Derby.  If anyone knows anything of the mounts original constructor I would be interested in finding out more.

Cheers and clear skies

Barry

Aha I remember the sitech review in Sky and Telescope.

Oooh a Fullerscopes mk4, now your talking my language:-) Im still on the lookout for one. Any chance of a few pics of it?

Guest bazer_20002000

Hi Phil, pictures might be difficult at this stage as its in bits.  Its pretty much standard for the MKIV with thick black paint covering the cast aluminium cones.  It has the brass worm gears and engraved wheels.  I have removed the Dec axis to fit a stainless shaft however, the other axis (RA) has proved more difficult to remove the old shaft.  I have the stainless shafts but have not yet refitted the Dec axis as I am thinking of changing the brass sleeve bearings to taper roller bearings.  The worm wheels are corroded and I have the steel to make two more.  I did have the original motors but have passed these onto a fellow who needed a replacement.  My plan was to put new steppers or servos on it.  Its got the short pier with three cast feet.  My intention was to use it on my 12inch Newtonian but building mounting rings has taken a back seat.  I have had the correct diameter rolled out of two pieces of 60mm by 6 mm alloy plate but need to get the fasteners sorted.

Your welcome to pop in and poke around with it over a cup of coffee if your ever in Nottingham.

Cheers and clear skies

Barry