• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie from Alvaston

Guest Jamie S

Guest Jamie S

Hi all, thought I'd join the forum, I'm from Alvaston in Derby, I've just purchased a SW150P/1200mm scope, actually about to go out with it now, I got hooked last year but only had a cheap celestron refractor. Still very much a newbie and trying to learn my way around.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, a warm welcome to EMS.

Any questions feel free to ask away, you will get sensible advice here, well most of the time! :)

Enjoy the forum.

Guest Trickydicky

Hi all, thought I'd join the forum, I'm from Alvaston in Derby, I've just purchased a SW150P/1200mm scope, actually about to go out with it now, I got hooked last year but only had a cheap celestron refractor. Still very much a newbie and trying to learn my way around.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on your new scope. I currently have a celestron refractor looking to go to the same scope as you!! 

ta

Guest Jamie S

Thank you for the welcomes

Hi Jamie,

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on your new scope. I currently have a celestron refractor looking to go to the same scope as you!!

ta

Last night was my first viewing session with this scope, and it was truly amazing, I had a celestron powerseeker 70az before this, I could see Jupiter and it's four moons although not with vivid detail, with the 150 however I was looking at the banding on Jupiter with great detail, very impressed. Orion Nebula was stunning, again a smudge before and now I can see the nebula detail that is popularly imaged. I would definitely recommend this scope. It's seems a big piece of kit from what I've gone from, and the mount is gonna take some practice, but I will not go back after last nights session, and I'm sure the scope will be with me for a while to come, the only upgrade would be to a goto mount.

Guest Trickydicky

Thank you for the welcomes

Last night was my first viewing session with this scope, and it was truly amazing, I had a celestron powerseeker 70az before this, I could see Jupiter and it's four moons although not with vivid detail, with the 150 however I was looking at the banding on Jupiter with great detail, very impressed. Orion Nebula was stunning, again a smudge before and now I can see the nebula detail that is popularly imaged. I would definitely recommend this scope. It's seems a big piece of kit from what I've gone from, and the mount is gonna take some practice, but I will not go back after last nights session, and I'm sure the scope will be with me for a while to come, the only upgrade would be to a goto mount.

Thanks for your thoughts Jamie. I too have the 70az, and whilst it has go me going the details on Jupiter were very underwhelming. However, with that said we all have to start somewhere!!!. :D

Guest Jamie S

Thanks for your thoughts Jamie. I too have the 70az, and whilst it has go me going the details on Jupiter were very underwhelming. However, with that said we all have to start somewhere!!!. :D

No worries, sure have, that scope is what got me hooked and why I seeked a more powerful scope. 😃 I just need a trip out to some darker skies.