• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Two Wows from a Beginner

Toymaster

Hi All,

Here I am just a few weeks into this hobby after some 30 years and in the last 24 hrs I have two firsts:

1. Last night I saw Jupiter with its 4 moons using my Bresser spotting scope at 60x60.
  2. Just after 7:28 this morning I saw the ISS traverse the southern part of the sky with my early morning eye and Bresser 8x40 Bins.

Also the other day I captured my first image of the Moon. Not the best image by a mile but pleased me, which I guess is what it is all about.

Thanks to better kit and information systems than before, and also for all the info gained from EMS - What a source of knowledge..........

Do you think I'm getting hooked?      :)

Cheers

Adrian

(Toymaster)

I reckon your'e hooked too.

The spotting scope is a nice bit of kit, and sometimes the lower rich field view will reward you. M44, the Beehive cluster will look very well in it. At around 20-30X you should be able to pick up M81& 82, Bodes and the Cigar Galaxy in Ursa Major, but you will need a dark site for it. Doc and myself got these in 8x40's from EMS2.

The Double cluster is going to look good as well, but that is an early evening object now as it is on it's way down later. 

I'll try and  catch you next weekend, and have a chat with you, see if we can really push your scope.

Wait until you see Saturn, there's no way back then. :D

Guest peepshow

Hi All,

Thanks to better kit and information systems than before, and also for all the info gained from EMS - What a source of knowledge..........

Do you think I'm getting hooked?      :)

............line and sinker too by the looks of it. :)

Some nice astronomical achievements there Adrian, and lots more to come :)

Glad you're excited by it all :)

Congrats on your first objects Adrian. :)

It always reminds me of my early objects and how excited I was. Saturn will blow you away for sure!

Guest foundaplanet

It takes some beating when you look out into the greater beyond. An extremely satisfying way to spend a clear night and, I am with Baz all the way on the ''Saturn principle''... :D.

I expect you will be getting many more wow moments over the coming months.. :thumbsup: