• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Butcher Bird!

RonC

11983204645_73f33f0a61_z.jpg
GGS by [email protected], on Flickr

A Great Grey Shrike, seen on the way home this afternoon! Called a butcher bird because it impales it's food (Mice etc) on thorns then returns later to eat it!

Cheers

Ron

Wow never seen one of these before. Nice one Ron :) are they resident or a migratory bird to these parts?

Winter residents in this part of the world Felix, tend to set up a territory for the Winter and stay there! This bird has been around since Christmas at least!

Ron

I've never seen one, but I guess it pays to actively look though :) unfortunately I dealt with a bird today; a wood pigeon but under nasty circumstances. Gilbert caught it and he only are the breast meat then left it on the sofa in the conservatory :(

I wish more people would eat Wood Pigoen, I did as a kid most weeks!! It would take care of the 'population explosion'!!

I wish more people would eat Wood Pigoen, I did as a kid most weeks!! It would take care of the 'population explosion'!!

I grew up in the North Devon countryside Ron there wasn't a week went by without one if the locals bringing us pigeon/pheasant/rabbit/grouse that they had shot I many of and didn't want it to go to waste. I miss those days. I'll never be in sub a pristine house and environment ever again. I was so lucky. Wildlife galore there. There were all kinds of birds, foxes, a badger set and also red deer used to frequent the garden and eat my mums roses very early in the morning :)

Within 20 feet Derek in the car, used a small canon zoom. It was very confiding but got spooked by a passing car and disappeared into a wood!!

Guest foundaplanet

Good one Ron.. Nice pic..:)

I eat Pigeon, it's probably my favourite meat. In the oven on gas mark 6 top shelf for 21 mins done with shallots and tyme... Basted every 6 mins :lol: