• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Star trail guide

dawson

Tobias [the elder], the last thing you need to do is spend more money!

Have you come down after all those caffeinated chewy whips from last night :)

JD

Cheers. I'd spotted that one, and another one. I need to read through it again tomorrow and make sure i've missed anything out, then it will be good to go.

Cheers.

Jd

Thanks Al. I need to make some changes, and an EMSer has sent me some links on how to install something onto the memory card of a Canon to give the camera intervalometer functions without having to buy and intervalometer.... I need to check how 'legit' this is and how well it works, but that might make it even easier [cheaper] for people to do their own star trails. This is another job for today :)

James

I did like your star trails exhibit on Sat night James - I think it was the simplicity of a camera on a tripod surrounded by pictures that makes it obvious you don't need a mass of expensive gear to get started in AP.

Would've liked to hear your talk - though I'm sure I've heard it mostly in bits at observing sessions already lol. :)

Lol @ Kim; there was no talk... I told them all "if i can do this, any fool can" :)

Yes I think the simplicity is what appealed to so many of the visitors. I think next year we should expand the simplicity idea to show you don't have to spend thousands of pounds to do some worth while observing or basic night time imaging.

Jd

Guest AstroOlly

Yes it is, I was surprised at the star colours too, that is more or less how it came from the camera, a modified canon 1000D with CLS LP filter, just darkened the back ground slightly.

Thanks

Olly

I've got a CLS clip too and they are amazing. The only thing though is that they screen out nearly all "shooting stars", which i think is a shame.

Jd

Guest AstroOlly

Yes but a small price to pay for the good they do for your images, light pollution here is moderate to bad, and I can't image more than 15 seconds without a horrible orange sky glow. That filter is probably the best £100 I ever spent, and I have spent a lot of £££.....

Regards

Olly

DSLR. Me too. I want one.

Just downloaded your guide James and will have a read.

Edited by Orion