• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tilt Adjuster for 8 inch RC - homemade

fwm891

Tiltadj_zps6447995d.png

Just saved myself a few bob building a tilt adjuster for my Altair Astro 8 inch RC. The Ali cost me about £30 and with a couple of days on the lathe I have a working tilt adjuster to fine tune the collimation - clear skies please...

I can only imagine the weight at the back end pulls the camera down and slightly out of precise line of sight. That and correcting any defect in threads if they aren't cut dead square.

'It adjust's the tilt!' and helps fine tune the collimation James.. :)

Thanks Ron, as they say it does what is says on the can - that's adjusts the focal plane tilt.

Martyn, The threads from the back of the OTA through to the focuser are all 90x1mm and all mating surfaces form a rigid cylinder, with the weakest part as the focuser but once focused and locked that too is very solid.

The adjustable tilt rings are produced with the same 90x1mm threads so they all form part of the same cylinder.

Next part of this project is to make a Glatter style laser alignment tool. I've made an adjustable 1¼" one which has been adjusted so when rotated the dot remains stationary at a distance of about 60 ft. Need to make up a 2" version and a diffraction screen to produce the circular ring pattern.

looking good there Francis.

I assume there is an internal recessed collar / step to stop any light ingress ???