• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Were all in a giant brain - BBC Cosmic Web

stash

Dont know how many saw this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25809967

but the first thing that struck me was that it looked like human brain electrical neuro system map see url below

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg-PqrV8FQ6m2NElGiZidM3X-FUzO2U_543MFyNv_rdhOBOwj8

Weird eh - does that mean were are living in someones/thing head.

Good job it wasn't mine there would be a lot of black matter and not much light - so the wife says ;)

Edited by stash

I've seen the brain cell comparison before, thinks ore of those reoccurring patens like the golden ratio. but maybe we're just a small put in a big brain after all!

Plus they say they can't measure or sense "dark matter" - so how do they know its there or are they just filing in areas - Mind blowing stuff.

Trouble is the pictures  are computer mapping models - like the Met Office - look how accurate they are !

golden ratio - i fall asleep reading about that. :wallbash:

Plus they say they can't measure or sense "dark matter" - so how do they know its there or are they just filing in areas - Mind blowing stuff.

They can measure it's affects, for example, gravity, while they cannot see it, "something", (i.e, dark matter) is having an effect on the surrounding dust, gas, galaxies etc etc.

They can measure it's affects, for example, gravity, while they cannot see it, "something", (i.e, dark matter) is having an effect on the surrounding dust, gas, galaxies etc etc.

That's the problem , "Something" ,  the label "dark Matter"  just means something. Its such a long way away and we only see what has happened not why.  Until  they have proof then its a theory  which maybe right or not - time will tell. Still very fascinating 

Maybe they should be looking for grey matter instead of dark matter  :D

No good looking at mine then past 25 by a long way so most grey matter gone - what was that I was saying - oh yeh 50 shades of grey may be if dark matter is female  :)

Maybe they should be looking for grey matter instead of dark matter  :D

Reminds me of one of my April Fool jokes when I "published" a paper saying that light matter and dark matter can combine to form grey matter and we just needed to check the right radio frequency to find it.

I don't think anyone trusts anything I say on April 1st any more.

My fave one is when I said the Moon would turn blue as the solar system was about to pass through a dense region of the Interstellar Medium. Caught quite a few on that one.

Reminds me of one of my April Fool jokes when I "published" a paper saying that light matter and dark matter can combine to form grey matter and we just needed to check the right radio frequency to find it.

I don't think anyone trusts anything I say on April 1st any more.

My fave one is when I said the Moon would turn blue as the solar system was about to pass through a dense region of the Interstellar Medium. Caught quite a few on that one.

So thats why my pictures of the moon always turn blue - thanks for pointing that fact out  :notworthy:  :clap2: