• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Super clear night in cranwell - can see 1000's stars without Tele

stash

Must be one of the most clear nights plus moon not here yet least near to Jupiter. Maybe a bit of upper atmos but stunning - just wish I knew what I was looking at. Hard running in and out to Stellarium. Still Wow almost need to just lay on my back at look - forget the teles for 5 mins - sorry carried away :blush:

Ok starting about the weather maybe should have gone in Obs - sorry

Edited by stash

Must be one of the most clear nights plus moon not here yet least near to Jupiter. Maybe a bit of upper atmos but stunning - just wish I knew what I was looking at. Hard running in and out to Stellarium. Still Wow almost need to just lay on my back at look - forget the teles for 5 mins - sorry carried away :blush:

Ok starting about the weather maybe should have gone in Obs - sorry

Great isn't it?

Can you see the Milky Way? Some years since I last saw it and that was when I lived out of town.

Ade

Sorry no - but thats because I dont know where it is :facepalm:  I can only see sse-sws as I am outside my from door only suppose to be a quick look - that was 2 hrs ago. Using my Wixey but i am out a bit - ell 5 degrees if i use jupiter/stellarium

According to Google the star G331.5-0.1 which is in the Mily way its not visible in Northern Gemp - Hell what do I know

Edited by stash

Sorry no - but thats because I dont know where it is :facepalm:  I can only see sse-sws as I am outside my from door only suppose to be a quick look - that was 2 hrs ago. Using my Wixey but i am out a bit - ell 5 degrees if i use jupiter/stellarium

According to Google the star G331.5-0.1 which is in the Mily way its not visible in Northern Gemp - Hell what do I know

oh well thats it starting cloud over and I am getting the evil look :evil: from someone

Stash the milky way looks like a band across the sky. At the moment it will originate on the north east horizon, travel up past Cassiopeia towards orion and back behind the horizon again. It is difficult to see if there is light pollution or lots of moon. Best been from a dark site. It is us looking into the milky way from our peripheral view point.

Stellarium will show you a white band which marks its position.

James

Clear here as well! (only a mile West of course!!) Milky Way was very clear. Must get together one clear night Clive and map out the sky!  :)

Clear here as well! (only a mile West of course!!) Milky Way was very clear. Must get together one clear night Clive and map out the sky!  :)

Hi Ron,

Yes  agree - but I will be going to the D/Site at the Farm next saturday. I presume you will be going too subject to the weather. Do you suffer from light pollution from the camp down your "end" ?

JD (great initials - James Dean,Jack Daniels) - Even more difficult to see if you dont know where to look . Couldn't actually find it on Stellarium - most need a setting changing maybe - but to be fair I wasn't looking until Ade mentioned it. I was looking for the Cone trying out the Wixey , Mod to night red  light head gear - It was hard to see the Wixey it should have an inbuilt light as LCD displays dont work unless there is light.  Still it was fun and thats the point for me - for me anyway

Jupiter was stunning though.

Found setting for brightness of Milky way in Stellarium and back timed to last night I wouldn't have been able to see it from where I was located outside my front door(southwest facing). Thanks for the info James.

Edited by stash

Going a week Saturday (1st Feb) to Badger Farm, if you want to follow me to learn the route that's OK with me! LP not to bad here, one street light is a pain but most nights I can see the Milky Way. Good views NW N NE E not so good SE S SW W, house is in the way upto 30' but above OK.

Let me know about BF meet?

Cheers

Ron

Going a week Saturday (1st Feb) to Badger Farm, if you want to follow me to learn the route that's OK with me! LP not to bad here, one street light is a pain but most nights I can see the Milky Way. Good views NW N NE E not so good SE S SW W, house is in the way upto 30' but above OK.

Let me know about BF meet?

Cheers

Ron

If that's ok I will follow you to "The Farm"- been to Nature reserve next door (i Think!). Let us know what time you are going and I will meet you at the bottom of my drive which is like the river witham as I have just found a water pipe has a leak  :( Bang goes any upgrades this year.

I have views from N to S one side, ESE to SWS at front. However I need to cut the tops of my 30' Conifers on the side to improve low angle stuff. ESE to SWS a few tall trees in the way. Luckily not too bad for street lights especially N to SE view   but haven't found them a problem YET but i am not a serious Astrophoto person .

After Conifers chopped will be using existing metal(plastic coated) shed for Obsy which will give NWN - SWS view.

Of course Ruskington and Sleaford should be moved then it would be really good.

James ,

Very pretty picture but I don't I would se that from my garden - I think i saw it from North York Moors a few years ago when I supported the "Lyke Wake Walk" but not anywhere like that picture. 

My son is in the RAF he tells me the Pilots say they see some great views  on night sorties - even over Lincolnshire

Clive