• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Where do people keep there scopes?

Guest Jamie S

Guest Jamie S

Just wondered where other folk keep their equipment, as in outside or inside the house, (edited)  because it's near where I set up and I don't have to dismantle too much to get in and out, but I keep eyepieces and cameras inside. I ask because I'm curious as to whether I'll see any affects of being outside, on the scope.

Edited to keep sensitive info private. 

I keep my kit set up in the lounge at all times. It's a bit of a pain when I want a quick session and I need to take it apart first but I don't have a garage or anything and a modest (small) house so I have nowhere else to keep it.

Plus it looks nice on display.

I know some people keep there scopes/mounts outside at all times (Damien peach) as long as its well protected from the elements & stuff It would be fine. No cool down times either.

Edited by T A WOW

In Bed next to me instead of the wife - it  doesnt nag,takes up less room and is always ready for action. :D

Really in the spare bedroom as I dont trust leaving it in the garage plus might get damp as tubes etc are steel .

In the future I hope to convert(line) a metal shed to be my obsys but that's in the future

Edited by stash

SW ED 80 on an EQ5 Pro set up in the  conservatory  and the MN190 on HEQ5 is in the obsy!  :)

Our scopes are on display too ;-) the legs and mounts are under the bed and the cases are sort of on the stairs. We have a small house without a garden, so anywhere else for us is also not possible. :-)

Somewhere dry and at ambient temperature is preferable from the kits perspective, as Tobias [the elder] has indicated, to minimise cool down time. Moisture isn't great for optics (or electronics), and over time metal will rust (I've got some on my tripod).

Somewhere very secure is best from a security point of view.

It's a balance of risks:benefits.

JD

I would suggest you consider what you are putting on here, as this is open to anyone to read. I have edited Jamie's thread to reduce any threat of theft.

Guest Jamie S

Sorry I should have thought about the question before hand I suppose, so outside is a good place,

In Bed next to me instead of the wife - it doesnt nag,takes up less room and is always ready for action. :D

Lol. 😄

Guest Jamie S

I would suggest you consider what you are putting on here, as this is open to anyone to read. I have edited Jamie's thread to reduce any threat of theft.

Thank you for editing.

I used to keep my scope set up on the mount in my conservatory, mainly to minimise the heat difference when taking it outside as it's cold in there in the winter. We don't put the heating on in there as it's under floor and expensive. I read that you shouldn't keep them where it's too hot or too cold. The conservatory currently gets down to about 8 degrees when it's really cold outside. I have since taken the optical tube off the mount and it now sits it it's homemade case as I couldn't buy one to fit my case exactly. ( It's in a Stanley tool box with 1" foam all around it).

Would it be okay left on the mount in the conservatory (blinds closed obvs).

I keep all the scopes indoors except for the Lightbridge which is too big to go through doors - so the base and mirror box live in the garage.

Secure and dry are the main things - especially any electronics.

I rarely worry about cool down time and just start using straight away. Any scope will cool eventually sometime early in the session - and all it means is the views gradually get better until it's at ambient. Doesn't take much more than an hour or so for most scopes. :)

Guest Kheldar

In their storages cases inside the house ...

Unless it's raining when I get back from a dark site in which case they sit in their cases in the car for a few days :whistle:

In Bed next to me instead of the wife - it  doesnt nag,takes up less room and is always ready for action. :D

Lol! I'm definitely going to try this next time my gf asks where we're going to put it ;)

Mine lives in my spare bedroom, there's going to be trouble when someone stays over...

Does anyone bother with custom cases, or just keep bits in the boxes they came in?

In their storages cases inside the house ...

Unless it's raining when I get back from a dark site in which case they sit in their cases in the car for a few days :whistle:

more like weeks :D

where do I keep my scopes - all over the place

found 2 mirrors in a box the other day 10" f5 and 6" f8

If this rain keeps up I will be keeping mine in a boat :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was some bloke called Noah round earlier muttering about boats

There was some bloke called Noah round earlier muttering about boats

Boats :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I thought he said Goats so I sent him up to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a safe place securely protected and away from prying eyes :) however I've had to come up with a cunning plan for the soon to be obsy because it's a dome it will be a huge signal I fear .......