• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bought a new scope

Guest nottsbloke

Guest nottsbloke

Took the plunge and got a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT together with a power tank from eBay.

Had a look at it and checked that everything was fine before putting in a bid. It seemed hardly used!

The owner was selling it because he thought the handset was broken as it kept saying "bootloader error." All it took was a quick flash of the firmware and everything is working fine.

Got it at a bargain price. Just need some clear skies now & upgrade the mount at a later date.

Cool.

There is a good article about setting up these sort of mounts in feb2014 issue of the s@n magazine.

Make a dee shield for the scope else youmll be dewy.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Jd

Guest Tweedledum

Great scope, echo comments above about dew shield..The meniscus lens attracts dew like doggy doo doo does  flies!!

Edited by Tweedledum

Dew shield AND dew band I would suggest ...

Wellies as well the way it's going at the moment.

Nice one Craig, let us know how you get on. Don't forget it will take around an hour to get it to ambient temp when you get it out.

Guest nottsbloke

Thanks everyone. I'm looking for a window in the weather to use it properly! Keep bringing it down & putting it in the lean to when I get home to get it to ambient temp so I can quickly whip it outside!

Hi Craig, new ED80 pro just arrived! I think we have jointly 'jinxed' the weather for a while!!  :D  :D

No it's most definitly yours  :lol:  :lol:

Either way we're both waiting for a clear sky!! :(

Cheers

Ron