• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nylon ended screws

xanthic

Does anyone know where to get nylon ended screws? I'm looking to replace the ones that retain eyepieces etc so they don't mark.

Close - but no banana : ) I'm after the stainless steel ones with a nylon tip. The full nylon ones aren't strong enough unfortunately.

There is a shed load of Allen head socket screws, but none of what you are after.

Any chance a compression holder would fit?

I use the Altair SCA for that reason - However on a SW Dob i haven't been able to find a replacement for the screw connector element that fits the Focus draw tube so that still has the screw retainer   - I have found one for SW SCT but not for Dobs.

An pointers please?

• 2 months later...

Hi Leigh.

Did you find a solution to the problem? I'd like to do something about the lock screws that hold the 2" to 11/4"  reducer into the focuser on my SW scope as they damage the reducer spigot. I've just bought a nice 2" diagonal and don't want to chew it up! 

Try 365 Astronomy as they have supplied them in the past.

Adrian

Thank you Adrian. 365 list a nylon tipped 5mm screw 20mm long, £3.60 a piece though. The originals are 4mm x 10mm but it's an easy job to run an M5 tap through the threads and the extra length will make them easier to operate. Only problem is, they're out of stock  :( so I've messaged them to see if or when they might get them in. I'll post if I hear anything back.

I've had a reply from 365 who say they have ordered them from their supplier several times but they have not arrived. They recommend keeping in touch but can't say when they'll have them. 

That's a bummer.....

Tried searching but could only find brass tipped so far................

Ade

Thanks Graham, but I don't think they do plastic / nylon tipped thumb screws for focusers?

Ade