• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

LP I may have a result

Ibbo

I have been chasing this for the 31/2 years we have been here and I just got htis reply

Mr Ibbotson

I am now in a position to answer your enquiry.

Columns 1 to 13 have been replaced by Nottinghamshire County Council on Rutland Road as requested by the Maintenance Section of Ashfield District Council. There are currently no plans to replace the remainder on Rutland Road but these will be assessed annually for any deterioration.

The new columns which are standard throughout Nottinghamshire are 6 metre in height replacing the existing 5 metre columns to provide a better spread of light and also to minimise vandalism which has been a problem in some areas of Nottinghamshire.

You state that the existing light does intrude into your bedroom. I have noticed there are two lights located near your property, . Could you please confirm which light you refer to. If you are concerned with backward spillage there are shields which can be fitted to the lanterns. The column on West Avenue is straight forward as a shield mounted to the rear of the lantern can be fitted. The column on Rutland Road is side on to your property and the light distribution will be downwards onto the footway approaching West Avenue. Unfortunately we can't fit a shield to the side as this would block/prevent any light output and affect light levels onto the footway. A shield could be fitted to the rear of the lantern minimising some of the light.
As to the new style lights impacting on astronomy I am rather surprised as these are now designed to control the amount of upward light. In accordance with the British Standard for Road Lighting (BS EN 13201) all new lanterns used in street lighting shall contain an acceptable optical system to direct light onto the highway within set limits of the BS. To ensure the minimum environmental pollution to 'night sky' the amount of downward light from lanterns should be better than 80% which the new lanterns are designed for.

I trust this helps.

Please let me have details of the column affecting your property and I can arrange for a shield to be fitted accordingly.

Regards

Antonio Biondi
Lighting Systems Engineer
Nottinghamshire County Council
0115 9773362

I've sent two letters to my council over the last three years and have had no luck whatsoever so well done Steve I'm glad you have got some sort of outcome.

Well done Steve & thanks for the address/email. I've got a street light just in front of my house so I'll see if I can get them to put a shield on it. At least that will be a bit less light for me if they will.