• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hope your Obsy roofs are well bolted down - 100mph gusts !

stash

Hope all you lucky people with Obsy have made sure the roofs are tied down well. A number of years ago I discovered my shed roof in the field even though I had put 6 inch screws in at different angles. Once the wind gets in it creates havoc.

Be safe everyone especially when driving !

Here's a +1 for a dome...

If the dome is constructed properly, whichever direction the wind blows, it should push it down :) .

Of course if it was built as a Friday afternoon job, it may just be a big sail :D .

Or a parachute if you are hanging onto it !!! :D

Lets hope not no matter what design !

The wind has been evil here for the last 2hrs. Wicked gusts that have been rocking the caravan on the drive - I'm quite worried about it possibly blowing over - eek! :o

If your are really worried  - with help and where possible turn the caravan into the wind and lower the nose - Maybe a bit late and dangerous. Should be ok I am exposed and ,touch wood,mine rocks but it does roll  - i hope.

Aberdaron in Wales  recorded 106mph gust - ouch!

Wow - yes I was thinking about putting it into wind - but that would mean bringing it out into full "side on" gusts first - so it's more dicey than I dare risk - I shoulda thought about it earlier I guess. Ta for the tip though. :)

Certainly wouldn't wont to be CAZZ driving a "brick" around in this wind might get the "snakes" - especially if the car/van is too light for the "brick". I would put it off for a while. She is brave !!

Kim your right to chicken out you may end up being in a worse position.

Guest fondofchips

Been & had a look at my obsy roof, not moved & its dry inside, ROR roof was felted & the end seals fitted on Monday, weather is stopping any further work but its still in one piece.

I think the springs in my Barometers have broken, they are all racing round off the clock. Got 975mb at Watnall, which is really low.

A bit late to this thread as my nerves have just recovered. I flew in to Brum airport last night at around 6pm it was a flybe turboprop inbound from Hannover. Crikey it was a rough landing we we're buffeted all over the place and approached the runway sideways before the pilot flipped it around and landed while we waggled all over the runway and before coming to a stop there was women crying and people holding on for dear life. Has to be my roughest flight ever. I'd not be happy to repeat that agin :(

On another note and inline wither OP. I've just bought a dome obsy on ABS and hope I've made the right choice as I'm on a very exposed site which really gets the wind as it whistles down the Firth of Forth the same wind tunnel that closes the forth bridge. Any Dome owner out there who can advise me if I need to take other precautions to stop it blowing away. It a Suoerscope Dome I believe they stopped trading a while back but it seems a good construction I'm just wondering if I should put in extra precautions like tie down straps assuming they work on a dome ??

A bit late to this thread as my nerves have just recovered. I flew in to Brum airport last night at around 6pm it was a flybe turboprop inbound from Hannover. Crikey it was a rough landing we we're buffeted all over the place and approached the runway sideways before the pilot flipped it around and landed while we waggled all over the runway and before coming to a stop there was women crying and people holding on for dear life. Has to be my roughest flight ever. I'd not be happy to repeat that agin :(

I spent a whole year flying to/from Dublin every week and I can't think of any landings that weren't like this. It was such a load of fun, I used to love it when the pilot "crabbed in" on a strong crosswind that seems to occur naturally from the coast at Dublin airport.

My objective was always to get the crossword done and breakfast eaten and tray stowed so I could enjoy the landing. Some inconsiderate folks spoiled my fun by being nervous and looking worried and crying - naturally I had to offer counselling and reassurance it was a regular thing and not to worry.

That was in a Shorts 120 - like a bus with wings and the same capacity - what I call real flying - not this gentle whimp'sh stuff you get on long haul wide body Jumbo's. lol. :lol:

I have to say I did see the excitement and fun side and calmly accepted that the pilot were in control but the gasps and obvious distress from some passengers was not nice to see.

I did feel sympathy for them at first yes - but I soon realised no amount of reassurance is enough - if they're gonna panic there's nothing you can do for them once they're already in that situation - way too late for help really.

Some folks just aren't natural flyers and they really shouldn't get on planes if they know that's what's gonna happen.

Ive had to crab in on my parachute when the winds changed whilst we were on the way up in the plane-that was scary! I was landing alongside a guy whom i jumped with, at that time i had 31 skydives and he had 12,000. We both crabbed it in and subsequently upon landing

got dragged along the ground by the wknd catching our canopies. He was 76 years old an got up smiling and said in a geordie accent "that was a bit tasty wasn't it?!" I was literally shaking!